Loud Mufffler and CSL airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TosM3 View Post
    Me, I have supersprint ss race with ss section 2 non resonated and evolve air box. I can hear my airbox up top. I love the sound

funny you should say that because when i ran an SS race that's all i could hear, and eventually i couldn't hear anything

Comment

I’m running headers/no cats/stock
      Muffler. HATE it as the rasp over powers the box. As soon as my OE headers sell I’ll be welding in race cats to quite up the sound and reduce smell.

The airbox is a much nicer sound than the exhaust on this car.

Comment

Just installed my air box yesterday

I have full SGT exhaust no cats no res

You can deff still hear the air box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If the Ti muffler ends up being too loud still and you decide to let it go, let me know 😉
          2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
          Instagram
          Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Stack View Post
            Just installed my air box yesterday

I have full SGT exhaust no cats no res

You can deff still hear the air box

Only barely.

It’s much more pronounced with a proper exhaust setup.

Comment

I'm running a catless set up with SS race muffler and my airbox is LOUD! You can hear it over my exhaust for sure.
              Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

What sect 2 Frank?
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

At first I didn't like it but I have SG headers, AR20, stock sec2 and stock sec3. The volume of airbox vs exhaust is near a perfect balance. The growl of the airbox compliments the rasp.

Especially with the rear seats deleted

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dl.m3 View Post
                    At first I didn't like it but I have SG headers, AR20, stock sec2 and stock sec3. The volume of airbox vs exhaust is near a perfect balance. The growl of the airbox compliments the rasp.

Especially with the rear seats deleted

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
                    Still rasp with ar20’s ??

Comment

For sure, you'd have to add an x pipe (prepare for drone) or resonated 2.5" sect 2 (prepare for boring) to really eliminate.

Catted or resonated sect 1 gets rid of the nasty rasp that occurs 3.5k-4k, but it doesn't completely eliminate the overall "raspy" character of our exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                        What sect 2 Frank?
                        SGT resonated and SGT rasp pipe for Sect1.
                        Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

Ok ya, that's helping you hear the airbox even better for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                            For sure, you'd have to add an x pipe (prepare for drone) or resonated 2.5" sect 2 (prepare for boring) to really eliminate.

Catted or resonated sect 1 gets rid of the nasty rasp that occurs 3.5k-4k, but it doesn't completely eliminate the overall "raspy" character of our exhaust.
                            Yup I call that nasty eardrum destroying boomy rasp that's around 2.5-3k and again at 3.5k-4k as 'drone', just to help differentiate it from the more ubiquitous rasp that our exhausts naturally have whenever I'm describing exhaust sounds to someone. But that's me personally, I could be using the term wrong ha. I should make a video demonstrating those two rpm 'drone zones' on my car with its setup, its honestly louder at those lower rpms than full tilt going past 7k to redline.

Hey Onefastsicilian , curious what exact version of airbox do you have? Been researching airboxes more recently and being that I have a loud exhaust setup I'm trying to find what setup makes the airbox induction noise the most pronounced . I wont be changing my standard US bumper to a CSL one, so wont have the bumper duct for the snorkel; I was thinking to run the standard (non Race) box without any snorkel or flap.. Figure that would be the loudest setup, louder than the snorkel w/o flap, then of course snorkel with flap being the least loud.
                            2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
                            Instagram
                            Youtube

Comment

Drone is the bassy, give-you-a-headache, consistent deep noise that comes from too little muffling. Most commonly heard when you're cruising on the freeway at 2.5k, especially next to a retaining wall or divider. I also refer to the hollow/wispy sound the sect 1 makes when it's a straight pipe as droney.

"Rasp" is used twice by us, once to describe that heavy rattlely noise that rears its head from 3.5k-4k. Also used to describe the overall harsh sound of our exhaust in general, from the straight 6 and, I believe, the pipe routing.
                              Last edited by Tbonem3; 08-12-2021, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I had a DNA Section 3 on my car before installing the CSL intake. It was obnoxiously loud, was a cop magnet, and had some weird whistling sounds at the top end. It also completely too loud for me to enjoy the CSL intake. Threw my stock section 3 on and couldnt be happier. The induction is a much nicer sound, its quiet unless im on it, and hearing it head on is brutal. I was missing out on all the low RPM grunt as well. Part of me wants to get the exhaust dialed in and sounded really nice, but im growing to the idea of just leaving it how it is, and letting the air box serenade me through the miles.
                                2003 Stahl Grau on Imola Red E46 M3 / 1992 Brilliatnrot E30 318iC Vert
                                @ JT_E30

Comment

Working...
                                X