Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freakyparts Brembo brakes for track - 345mm or 360mm front rotor kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freakyparts Brembo brakes for track - 345mm or 360mm front rotor kit?

I started a similar thread about comparing 996 brakes vs the Freakyparts Megane based kit, where I said I’d decided to go with the 996. I’ve actually bought all of the calipers and front rotors, but am now having second thoughts. The daunting task of rebuilding and repainting the calipers has me eyeing the Megane calipers again.

If I were going that direction, help me decide between the 345mm CSL rotor vs the 360mm e90 rotor for a 90/10 street/track car. Thoughts on pros and cons? Here are mine on the 360mm:

Pros: bigger rotor for heat sink (less fade on track), potentially better feel in brake pedal, same cost

Cons: heavier, shifts brake bias up front (not sure by how much) which could increase understeer, potentially more wheel clearance issues.

Would love to hear from those that have experience with both on the track. Thanks.
    ‘04 M3

Just for reference, I bought the 996 stuff and threw them on the car. no rebuild, no paint. just black calipers with a little Porsche logo and they work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxhouse97 View Post
      I started a similar thread about comparing 996 brakes vs the Freakyparts Megane based kit, where I said I’d decided to go with the 996. I’ve actually bought all of the calipers and front rotors, but am now having second thoughts. The daunting task of rebuilding and repainting the calipers has me eyeing the Megane calipers again.

If I were going that direction, help me decide between the 345mm CSL rotor vs the 360mm e90 rotor for a 90/10 street/track car. Thoughts on pros and cons? Here are mine on the 360mm:

Pros: bigger rotor for heat sink (less fade on track), potentially better feel in brake pedal, same cost

Cons: heavier, shifts brake bias up front (not sure by how much) which could increase understeer, potentially more wheel clearance issues.

Would love to hear from those that have experience with both on the track. Thanks.
      You're not going to have fade on the 345 for light track use. Lighter too.

Comment

From the calculations I've run, it increases front bias by quite a bit.. Hopefully someone on here with more experience on the subject can also chime in.

Another con of the e90 rotors is the rust ring that forms on the rotors due to the upswept area. Although this is just a cosmetic thing.

Just some things to think about as I am considering between these kits as well to match the 996 rear kit I've pieced together but not yet installed.

Comment

Ok thanks, this is the type of feedback I’m looking for. I felt if there is any doubt as to whether the 996 will be enough I should go to the e90s to be sure (with the minimal cost difference), but if most folks think the 996s should be adequate then maybe the change in front bias plus more potential fitment problems are not worth it (I have 18” ARC-8s 35 mm offset). I am especially sensitive to excessive front bias as this car already has a tendency to understeer.

I’m also worried about the repaint of the 996s, was originally going to take them to my powdercoater, but then read on another thread that powdercoat is not recommended for Brembo calipers. And I’m worried that any rattle can paint that I do (even when baked) will not withstand track work. Hence the potential to just get the Freakyparts kit and have a fresh OEM caliper finish.

S14 I’ve thought like you, maybe I don’t paint the 996s and just rub off the Porsche markings. Maybe just rattle can a light clear coat to get the Brembo sticker to stick. Not sure how much of the 996 refinishing threads advice pertains to street only guys vs track.
          ‘04 M3

Comment

I did some quick napkin math and you get about 25% more rotor ring volume with the E90 rotors. However, that's not all solid as the air gap is very likely different, so in the real world the thermal mass difference is probably negligible.

That's to say nothing about brake bias. I'm also of the opinion that 345x28 is enough for these cars (if not turbo/supercharged), especially if your track use is light.
            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by Maxhouse97 View Post
              Ok thanks, this is the type of feedback I’m looking for. I felt if there is any doubt as to whether the 996 will be enough I should go to the e90s to be sure (with the minimal cost difference), but if most folks think the 996s should be adequate then maybe the change in front bias plus more potential fitment problems are not worth it (I have 18” ARC-8s 35 mm offset). I am especially sensitive to excessive front bias as this car already has a tendency to understeer.

I’m also worried about the repaint of the 996s, was originally going to take them to my powdercoater, but then read on another thread that powdercoat is not recommended for Brembo calipers. And I’m worried that any rattle can paint that I do (even when baked) will not withstand track work. Hence the potential to just get the Freakyparts kit and have a fresh OEM caliper finish.

S14 I’ve thought like you, maybe I don’t paint the 996s and just rub off the Porsche markings. Maybe just rattle can a light clear coat to get the Brembo sticker to stick. Not sure how much of the 996 refinishing threads advice pertains to street only guys vs track.
              If you haven't bought any yet, I have some read ones that are ready to go. I'm in Dayton by the way.

What is your experience on track? What is your current wheel/tire/suspension setup?

Comment

The Megane calipers aren't your option for 345mm. Check out this kit:

Brake upgrades from Big Brake Kits (BBK) to caliper carrier kits and upgraded discs and pads for Volkswagen, Audi, Seat and Skoda

Comment

Currently run stock with track pads. Did my first DE with this car and the brakes survived, but had some vibration and we’re not that confidence inspiring. I came from a 911 where I had brake issues, upgraded to 996 calipers, and never worried about brakes again. I already have the 996 calipers.

Everything else is pretty stock, 18x9.5 ARC8s with PS4S 255s square, upgraded sways. Interior is stock, still have the heavy seats. I’m looking to keep the car as a mildly modified HPDE car that I drive to and from. At this point with kids I’m lucky to do 3 track weekends a year.

Cool kit with the Aston calipers, but another draw of the 996 is the FCP returnable pads (not sure if they take the same pad shape).
                  Last edited by Maxhouse97; 07-24-2021, 07:14 AM.
                  ‘04 M3

Comment

If you're driving on stock suspension and street tires, CSL rotors/996 calipers should be sufficient for you. If you already have the calipers, you're 1/2 way there!

Comment

Yeah I’ve thought of guys that get away with using stock brakes with cooling and how this should allow me to go with the 996 and then up the cooling if needed. Was just asking of getting the bigger 360mm rotor now in order to have more margin.
                      ‘04 M3

Comment

Csl brakes/rotors with cooling ducts is more than enough for this car. Ran doubled up sessions without fade for 1.5 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do stock CSL rotors have floating rotors and aluminium hats? I see Girodisc do (did) the E9x M 360mm rotor with an aluminium hat for a possible weight saving and replaceable rotor.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.wReckless View Post
                            Do stock CSL rotors have floating rotors and aluminium hats? I see Girodisc do (did) the E9x M 360mm rotor with an aluminium hat for a possible weight saving and replaceable rotor.

Regards
                            Not in the traditional sense. You cannot separate the hat from the disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They're co-cast, somewhat floating but not "2-piece" really.
                              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Working...
                              X