SMG issues. Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMG issues. Help

Please no replies/mentions of manual swaps here. I have decided to keep smg as long as I can.

Had to cut the track weekend short due to smg issues.

Symptoms:
    Initially gear indicator would blink and take a few seconds to switch gears. Decided to let the car cool down i case it was overheating.
    Now, it will go to neutral but when i try to engage a gear, it seems like the clutch actuator is not engaging and the smg is slamming into gear. Once in gear the car will stall or move.

Smg error Codes: 48 and 58 are showing in inpa.

Anyone have any good ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by jk715 View Post
    when i try to engage a gear, it seems like the clutch actuator is not engaging and the smg is slamming into gear. Once in gear the car will stall or move.
    If the clutch actuator (slave cylinder) didn't move then when the gear was engaged (slamming into gear) then a big gear grinding noise should be heard. So I think the clutch was disengaged and engaged in order for the gear synchro to shift noiselessly. However, it could be that the slave's position encoder is bad causing the computer to engage the clutch too fast (computer has no slave position feedback for it to perform a smooth clutch releasing).

Comment

I has a similar issue, i had to replace my salve cylinder. Im my particular scenario, it was slamming gears once the car was moving (the slam was more pronounced on the lower gears and lower speeds) - I also agree with the bad travel position value on the slave cylinder, try full adaptations first else, i would replace cylinder with an FTE one

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

If the clutch actuator (slave cylinder) didn't move then when the gear was engaged (slamming into gear) then a big gear grinding noise should be heard. So I think the clutch was disengaged and engaged in order for the gear synchro to shift noiselessly. However, it could be that the slave's position encoder is bad causing the computer to engage the clutch too fast (computer has no slave position feedback for it to perform a smooth clutch releasing).
        Forgot to mention (trying to forget) the grinding noise when slamming into gear. Seems like a slave cylinder is in order. Thanks all. Will update afterwards

Comment

Just tested on inpa. Seems like clutch slave cylinder is broken. All other values tested with a difference +-10 difference.

Comment

Just tested on inpa. Seems like clutch slave cylinder is broken. All other values tested with a difference +-10 difference.

When you get the new clutch slave the rod doesn't move. That is good, it has clip that will break after you install it and on first use. The rod not moving helps align it to the dimple on the plate during install.
            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Anything else i should take care of SMG related while I’m down there?

Comment

Anything else i should take care of SMG related while I’m down there?

Simple job, don't touch anything it it ain't broke. I wish I could learn that. Seriously, just general inspection of whatever you can eyeball while there.
                3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Please no replies/mentions of manual swaps here. I have decided to keep smg as long as I can.
                  SMG owners, rejoice!

Comment

Figure i'd follow up here with the results:

Clutch slave cylinder was fine. Ended up doing a restore of the slave cylinder since I had already ordered the part from mlr. I would caution against using the mlr supplied spider ring since mine ended up popping out in the BH and leaking fluids in the BH. Had to tape a magnet to a wire and fish out the ring. The oem ring is much strong where as the mlr replacement ring I could bend with my hands.

Ultimately clutch was destroyed. SMG clutch at 180k miles should be replaced if you're going to track the car. I'm actually surprised it lasted this long. Luckily I had already planned to do a clutch/flywheel refresh. Went with the sachs clutch kit and luk flywheel.

Comment

Ultimately clutch was destroyed. SMG clutch at 180k miles should be replaced
                      This makes sense as the ruptured clutch was causing drag and the gear grinding when shifting.
                      I'm surprised it lasted to 180K miles on a single clutch.

Comment

The smg error codes leave a lot of room for interpretation.

Here is how I would diagnose SMG. 1) Salmon Relay 2) Bleed/Test Clutch and Gear actuators in INPA special tools several times (at least 2 times each) 3a) If SMG Gear and Clutch actuator test fails, SMG pump issue 3b) If only Clutch actuator test fails, could be clutch slave cylinder or clutch/flywheel issue.

Also, nothing compares to driving a car after a new clutch. Feels like a new car.
                        Last edited by jk715; 08-12-2021, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X