Which Trans fluid to use on E46 M Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Trans fluid to use on E46 M Manual

I am about to change the trans fluid on my E46 M3. RedLine recommends using the D4 ATF, wanted to get everyones input. Or should I just stick with OEM?

BMW 75W80 MTF LT2 works well. I'm not sure what there is to gain by going with something else, but there's lots to lose.
    2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Spec is a 75w80 GL4 gear lube not GL5 diff lube of same weight or similar weight ATF.

There may still be some pentosin mtf2 you can find or the genuine BMW stuff or Ravenol mtf2 or other GL4 75w (or there abouts) synth lube from other reputable brands.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Always used Pentosin MTF-LT-2 then switched last change to Pentosin FFL-4 which superceded the MTF-LT-2.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RedBarron View Post
          I am about to change the trans fluid on my E46 M3. RedLine recommends using the D4 ATF, wanted to get everyones input. Or should I just stick with OEM?
          There's some very knowledgeable people on this forum (I'm not one of them) who wouldn't use Redline if you paid them. Just sayin'...

Comment

Agreed, the BMW stuff (Pentosin MTF-LT2) seems to work better than when trying out aftermarket stuff on our M3s. If Pentosin has changed to a superceeded fluid (as posted above) it's probably still the way to go unless proven substandard.
            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

I've noticed no difference moving to FFL-4.

From FCP Euro website:

Please note: FFL-4 recently replaced MTF-LT-2 for older manual transmissions. FFL-4 and MTF-LT-2 are both 75W80 fluids with almost identical properties. Because of this changeover FFL-4 can be used in manual transmissions or transfer cases that required MTF-LT-2 manual trans fluid. FFL4 fluid can also be used in applications that require MTF-LT-3 fluids as well.

Last edited by M3GA; 07-29-2021, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M3GA View Post
                From FCP Euro website:
                Please note: FFL-4 recently replaced MTF-LT-2 for older manual transmissions. FFL-4 and MTF-LT-2 are both 75W80 fluids with almost identical properties. Because of this changeover FFL-4 can be used in manual transmissions or transfer cases that required MTF-LT-2 manual trans fluid. FFL4 fluid can also be used in applications that require MTF-LT-3 fluids as well.
                I agree it should be just as good if not better. Thanks for feedback on your use.
                6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

I experienced pretty rough shifting on the BMW oil. I tried Redline MTL and it was even worse. When cold I had it actually pop out of gear a couple times which was horrifying. I switched to Amsoil MTF and it has been buttery smooth ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by M3GA View Post

From FCP Euro website:

Please note: FFL-4 recently replaced MTF-LT-2 for older manual transmissions. FFL-4 and MTF-LT-2 are both 75W80 fluids with almost identical properties. Because of this changeover FFL-4 can be used in manual transmissions or transfer cases that required MTF-LT-2 manual trans fluid. FFL4 fluid can also be used in applications that require MTF-LT-3 fluids as well.

This is noted on the Pentosin FFL-4 listing on FCPeuro here: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-gear-oil-ffl4

However, there are plenty of BMW chassis that show up in the 'fitment' tab, but not the E46, which is interesting given the way the fluid usage is described here.
                    E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

I’ve been using royal purple synchromax in mine, feels just fine. But in my 325i that royal purple makes shifts so nice

Comment

Took a while for RP to enter the thread
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Sigh. Nobody should run royal purple.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by m3nt0s View Post

This is noted on the Pentosin FFL-4 listing on FCPeuro here: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-gear-oil-ffl4

However, there are plenty of BMW chassis that show up in the 'fitment' tab, but not the E46, which is interesting given the way the fluid usage is described here.
                            Yeah I'm not worried about the fitment guide, I've seen a few instances where FCP Euro and other vendors have it slightly off.

There are many other sources that cross-reference FFL-4 to the e46 m3 manual trans. FFL-4 was designed for newer trans but is backwards compatible and seems a near identical formulation to MTF-LT-2.

For peace of mind:

Comment

I use Redline MT90 since it should handle heat a little better. D4ATF is compatible but you'll be draining it as often as you change the engine oil. Not really worth it.

Especially if its a street car, stay OE or whatever the equivalent Pentosin fluid is.

Comment

Working...
                              X