Getting code P1637

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting code P1637

I believe code P1637 is the throttle position sensor, is there procedure to find the right starting point for the sensor?
    Thanks,
    Chris

There are 3 TPS in the E46 M3 - one by the oil filter housing, one under the intake manifold and one in the gas pedal. I had this issue and started with the TPS by the oil filter housing, then swapped the gas pedal, and finally had to remove the intake manifold. It ended up being the TPS under the intake manifold for me. Careful not to strip the soft screws holding the TPS on.
    '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
    '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
    '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
    '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

Originally posted by Titaniu//M View Post
      There are 3 TPS in the E46 M3 - one by the oil filter housing, one under the intake manifold and one in the gas pedal. I had this issue and started with the TPS by the oil filter housing, then swapped the gas pedal, and finally had to remove the intake manifold. It ended up being the TPS under the intake manifold for me. Careful not to strip the soft screws holding the TPS on.
      Right, so you found it was the TPS on the throttle actuator/motor that was causing the code for you and you replaced it. Unlike the the TPS on the gas pedal or the throttle actuator the TPS on the main throttle shaft/linkage is adjustable, it can be moved in an arc in both directions. The engine seems to Rev properly with no delays so for the moment I'm going to assume that all 3 TPS are working properly but that the ECU doesn't like the position that the main shaft TPS is in, I have figure out how to find that sweet spot.
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by grannyknot View Post

Right, so you found it was the TPS on the throttle actuator/motor that was causing the code for you and you replaced it. Unlike the the TPS on the gas pedal or the throttle actuator the TPS on the main throttle shaft/linkage is adjustable, it can be moved in an arc in both directions. The engine seems to Rev properly with no delays so for the moment I'm going to assume that all 3 TPS are working properly but that the ECU doesn't like the position that the main shaft TPS is in, I have figure out how to find that sweet spot.
        Thanks
        Did you ever find the sweet spot for the TPS by the oil filter? I have replaced both tps sensors, the pedal and the actuator and still have the eml light issue. Any help would be very appreciated

Comment

Its pretty rare for the rear TPS under the IM to fail. Its usually the front one or the pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X