Bump Steer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump Steer

My main gripe about my suspension setup is that there is some bump steer (and perhaps some tramlining as well). Otherwise I love the performance. I see that there are a fair number of "Bump Steer Correction Kits" a la modified tie rod ends such as these: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...SABEgIPd_D_BwE

Does anybody have experience with these?

I would like to measure out and model my suspension geometry to see just how bad it is but it may be easier to have the alignment shop raise and lower the car and check the toe change.

My setup:

Ground Control Race (sways, coilovers, camber plates)

525# Front / 650# Rear Eibach springs, 6” long springs, corner balanced but set to almost max. height on the fronts. Koni adjustables (rebound only)

Alum rear subframe bushings, poly everything else.

Square setup 18 x 9.5 ET22 with Hankook RS-4

I would also welcome some suggestions on my alignment settings. It is a tad aggressive for the daily driving I do (5000 miles street use/ 1-2 track days per year).

Please note that the caster is more negative than stock. Im not sure I can adjust it more positive without rubbing but if I can, I'd like to exchange a little bit of camber for a little caster.

I was thinking of:
    Decrease front camber from 3.1 degrees to 2.5 degrees
    Degrease rear camber from 2.4 degrees to 2.0 degrees rear camber
    Keep the front and rear toe where it is.
    Increase caster from 5.8 degrees to 7 degrees (as long as it doesnt rub)

My goal is that in addition to a bump steer kit, that this will help with tire wear and that the caster changes will enhance freeway stability while adding a smidgen of dynamic camber gain to hopefully keep the cornering grip and balance awesome.

Let me know your thoughts.

What's your ride height, centercap to fender?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
      What's your ride height, centercap to fender?
      13.6” Front / 13.3” Rear

Comment

How wide are your R-S4 tires? 275?
        Last edited by r4dr; 04-15-2020, 02:35 PM.
        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

No rub at ET22 and 2.5* front camber?

My R-S4s are 265/35R18. I think the 275 size takes you up to 275/40R18 in R-S4 unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by ethan View Post
            No rub at ET22 and 2.5* front camber?

My R-S4s are 265/35R18. I think the 275 size takes you up to 275/40R18 in R-S4 unfortunately.
            Should be fine with 265s, 275s would need -3* I believe.
            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Yes, I have 265's

Comment

I haven't noticed the bump steer lately but on the freeway around 70mph the rear end loves to bounce. Really getting the itch to drop the spring rates a tad.

Comment

In the same boat right now. At 13.5" front ride height, at 1 5/8" compression, E46 gets 6.5mm toe-in which comes out to 0.75 degree. A 20mm bumpsteer correction kit would get this toe-in down to 5.5mm(0.63 degree), 30mm correction kit would get it down to 4mm(0.46 degree). I tested all the way up to a 60mm correction, that would bring toe-in down to 1.5mm(0.17 degree)

Is there any company that is willing to develop a 30-40mm drop spindle for E46 M3? They can possibly use a E9x M3 hub that bolts onto the spindle. If the spindle is produced out of aluminum, it can also save weight. $2k for a set of spindles wouldn't be bad if it saved weight and corrected both bumpsteer and roll-center.

Comment

A tubular control arm with the balljoint mounting point lowered should accomplish the same result, bur yes, id love to experience the car with the roll center and bump steer corrected

Comment

That would correct the roll-center. Our control arms are still pointing just a bit down, its the tie rods that are pointing up at static.

I would buy a bumpsteer correction kit if one was built for the street. All the kits I found have exposed heim joints.

Comment

Another seemingly good bump steer + roll centre correcting option I've been eyeing. Looks to be relatively easy to install, just need to shorten tie rod threads slightly and press in their spherical ball and tap the arm for the retaining nut (sounds like everything needed is included, minus a press).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46M3-E...t/254366084419

Comment

Subscribed for more info
                          Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by BBRTuning View Post
                            Another seemingly good bump steer + roll centre correcting option I've been eyeing. Looks to be relatively easy to install, just need to shorten tie rod threads slightly and press in their spherical ball and tap the arm for the retaining nut (sounds like everything needed is included, minus a press).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46M3-E...t/254366084419

Interesting....

Comment

Working...
                            X