Oil filter dissection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil filter dissection

I found about 8 small glints of metal that look like glitter spread out on one stretch of the accordion piece. One larger piece. What does this mean? Googling it just says immediate engine failure. Has anyone else opened up their filter?

This is at a 5k mile interval. The car had the rod bearing recall at 48k miles and is currently at 131k miles.

Garage:
    2002 BMW M3: Slicktop jetblack/cinnamon. SMG to 6-speed. Arc-8's. Koni yellows/Dinan springs. Macht elbow. Megan headers. Stock section 1+AR20. SCZA section 3.
    1998 Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel: Pizza bag warmer.

I've wondered about the metal from vanos hub hammering. Other symptoms? Oil analysis? It is the job of the filter to catch things...

LM oil taking a beating lately lol
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      I've wondered about the metal from vanos hub hammering. Other symptoms? Oil analysis? It is the job of the filter to catch things...

LM oil taking a beating lately lol
      I did the vanos overhaul about 10k miles ago. The teeth on the vanos hub were intact, however there were marks where it was moving back and forth. Replaced with besian drilled pump.

I didn't want to wait for a Blackstone lab kit, and don't have a real good baseline to compare as the last time it was done was at 106k miles. Looks like I should have!

Last edited by Circa Surviven; 04-15-2020, 02:22 PM.
      Garage:
      2002 BMW M3: Slicktop jetblack/cinnamon. SMG to 6-speed. Arc-8's. Koni yellows/Dinan springs. Macht elbow. Megan headers. Stock section 1+AR20. SCZA section 3.

Comment

I'm really surprised more of us haven't done this considering how conscious of our cars we all are. I'm totally doing this in 100 miles.

Could be old pieces getting sucked up from the pan. Have you ever dropped it and looked inside?
        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Turner came up with magnetic tip on their drain plug. I'm sure pieces of metal like that could of easily been caught by a magnetic plug that sticks out longer than other drain plugs.
          BMW ///M3
          Dinan | Eonon

BMW S1000rr
          Dieci83 | 4Racing | OneDesign | D.I.D | R&G | TST | PSR | ASV |
          TWM

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
            I'm really surprised more of us haven't done this considering how conscious of our cars we all are. I'm totally doing this in 100 miles.

Could be old pieces getting sucked up from the pan. Have you ever dropped it and looked inside?
            I'm not on that level of DIY to pull the pan myself, I wish. I opened the oil filter up to see if there were any signs my rod bearings needed replacing asap. I was told there are no sure ways to know even with an oil analysis, but it let's me know something is awry.
            Garage:

Comment

Working...
            X