Which monoball RTAB to go with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

ethan They have switched - I confirmed with John and then I put the BW's in over the winter and have driven ~1,000 miles with them. No clunking. Press-fit of the aluminum carriers is tight! I need something substantial to press them into the trailing arm. I haven't even thought about them since installing, which is a good thing.
    đź‘Ť Good news.

Comment

Just got SDWs on Obioban's recommendation. Hooping to install and align car next week.

Comment

I went with turners because they where on sale. They use a oem lemforder Benz ball joint. Went in nice as easy and you can tell it’s snug. But you can’t go wrong with any of the companies that use a oem balljoint.

Comment

In a similar discussion on m3f, someone had linked to the MOOG sealed RTAB mod over at e46fanatics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ec6f2e2bfad594fbf0599dcee5148e37.jpg
Views:	1537
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	12573

Figured I'd make mention of it for posterity's sake, though it's probably not the right path for most M3 owners. I do use MOOGs on my 330xi though.

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
            Syncro Design Works on my car. I did not notice any increased NVH but I did notice the huge improvement in how planted the rear end feels. Great customer service too.

Syncro Design Works' Rear Trailing Arm Bearing, BMW 3 Series, E36 / E46 and Z4 Snycro Design Works' rear trailing arm bearing updates and improves the rear suspension in BMW 3 Series E36 and E46, and Z4, by eliminating binding and deflection through adding precision and longevity. Syncro Design Works RTAB's utilize an

MJ
            +1 for SDW. I have their monoballs on the thrust arms in my e39 M5 and they have been great. Solid product!
            2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by Bigo1087 View Post
              • Turner
              • SDW
              • CMP
              • DINAN
              All seem similar
              You can't go wrong with any of these. Someone also mentioned Fall Line which may be a good option.

Most people will no NVH increase, but I drive on shit roads in LA and there is some NVH (very little) when I switched from 60k mile OEM RTABS to my SDW. I would still recommend it but not to anyone looking to keep stock ride quality.
              2002 Jet Black · 6MT · Cinnamon · CSL Tribute

Engine · Karbonius CSL Airbox · CSL DME · Kassel MAP · Paul Claude Tuned
              Exhaust · SS Stepped V1 · SS 2.5 Res Sec 2 · SS Sport Sec 3
              Suspension · JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers · GC Weight Jackers · SDW RTAB · Corner balanced
              Wheels/Brakes · BBS E88 18" x 9.5" / 10.5" · Michelin Pilot Sport 4S · 996 Brembo BBK
              Exterior · Mile End CSL bumper · OE CSL trunk · Mile End CSL diffuser · OE LED taillights
              Interior · Avin Avant 4 · Llumar Air 80 Tint

Comment

I had DINANs in when replacing the RTABs. Now they are not cheap but the handling and feel of the rear end is just night and day.

Comment

+1 for SDW. But they should all be about the same providing they use an OEM ball. Not sure which I prefer for replacing the ball in the long run... I like the cut outs for a pulling tool on the CMP that the SDWs don't have.

Comment

I just ordered the CMP RTABs and subframe bushings. Total including shipping was $500 US dollars which I think is a good deal. The RTABs by themselves with shipping to TN are only $257 US dollars.
                    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by ethan View Post
                      In a similar discussion on m3f, someone had linked to the MOOG sealed RTAB mod over at e46fanatics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ec6f2e2bfad594fbf0599dcee5148e37.jpg
Views:	1537
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	12573

Figured I'd make mention of it for posterity's sake, though it's probably not the right path for most M3 owners. I do use MOOGs on my 330xi though.
                      Hi, any further info on the MOOGs? Am particularly interested in whether you had to modify the OD of the MOOGs in order to get a snug fit...(you may want to answer in the new post Ive just created, @May 13th 2020)

Comment

Ive been running CMP monoballs for over 12 months of daily driving and track work. Easy to install and do what a monoball should do!

Comment

Fall Line Monoball RTABs on mine. 2 years, some DD, and ~1,500 track miles later: zero issues.

Comment

+1 for SDW too. They made the rear end feel planted and nice. I asked the company about rebuildability and they can provide the joints but likely won't be needed for a long time. Their test car had around 40k miles with track time and were still solid, so that was some good news!

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

ethan They have switched - I confirmed with John and then I put the BW's in over the winter and have driven ~1,000 miles with them. No clunking. Press-fit of the aluminum carriers is tight! I needed something substantial to press them into the trailing arm. I haven't even thought about them since installing, which is a good thing.
                              Thanks for this. I bought a set from Bimmerworld in May and the bearings look...weird. Do you know if yours had a clear grease boot like this?

Originally posted by 911Fiddler View Post

Hi, any further info on the MOOGs? Am particularly interested in whether you had to modify the OD of the MOOGs in order to get a snug fit...(you may want to answer in the new post Ive just created, @May 13th 2020)
                              Yes, I was the one responding in that e46f thread about shaving the diameter/leading edge down and stretching the brackets a bit. I'm planning to help a friend install another set soon so I'll have a better idea of what's truly necessary to make them fit.

Comment

Originally posted by ZHPizza View Post
                                Thanks for this. I bought a set from Bimmerworld in May and the bearings look...weird. Do you know if yours had a clear grease boot like this?

Yes, I was the one responding in that e46f thread about shaving the diameter/leading edge down and stretching the brackets a bit. I'm planning to help a friend install another set soon so I'll have a better idea of what's truly necessary to make them fit.
                                Those look like the Indian joints that came prefozen in my BW set, so proceed with caution. I found some Lemforders new-old-stock on eBay which have black boots and look a lot like the other 2 trailing arm BJs. Obioban published the part #s for the real deal a while back. Can probably dig it up if you don't have it.

Re: MOOGs, I recently installed a set in my DD M3 using some custom made M14->M12 adapter sleeves. Also turned the outside of the MOOG down to get a proper interference fit with the arm and shaved 0.5mm off of each side of the inner race so it would fit the stock bracket correctly. Will report back after some miles.

Comment

Working...
                                X