VAC Tie Rod Failure at the Glen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAC Tie Rod Failure at the Glen

to anyone running the VAC tie rods. This failure was at the glen. Just a reminder to inspect critical components. No evidence to suggest that there is anything wrong with the VAC product, but that failure could have ended much worse!

183 likes, 45 comments - crookedcommie on August 29, 2021: "VAC tie rod sheared at probably the best place it could have, got lucky!"

This is why we take pre-event Tech inspection at a shop - seriously.

Comment

Aluminum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
        This is why we take pre-event Tech inspection at a shop - seriously.
        I agree with the importance of tech, but I'm curious if there was even any visible indicator of this before it failed.

Comment

So if it wasn't the fault of the tie rod then what was the reason for the fault?
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Pklauser View Post

I agree with the importance of tech, but I'm curious if there was even any visible indicator of this before it failed.
            I'm not inferring there was - but Tech is there to find things early - that can be found. I've seen a suspension failure at a PCA HPDE that ended involving more than one car and bent metal. Not to mention the safety aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
              to anyone running the VAC tie rods. This failure was at the glen. Just a reminder to inspect critical components. No evidence to suggest that there is anything wrong with the VAC product, but that failure could have ended much worse!
              EACMEN:

Was this the failing part?? https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac...-m3-p3748.aspx
              MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post

EACMEN:

Was this the failing part?? https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac...-m3-p3748.aspx
                That’s the only part I can find. Don’t know the driver personally just saw the insta post.

Comment

It looks like it's Crooked Commie. I think he is on this forum, he was definitely on the old one.

Comment

What's odd in the photo is the sheared taper (remaining in the spindle) is flush to the spindle. The stud attached to the tie-rod still has part of the taper on it, suggesting that the flange on the stud wasn't sitting flush to the spindle.
                    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
                      What's odd in the photo is the sheared taper (remaining in the spindle) is flush to the spindle. The stud attached to the tie-rod still has part of the taper on it, suggesting that the flange on the stud wasn't sitting flush to the spindle.
                      my thoughts as well. It would appear that the tapered stud was not machined to the proper max OD.

Comment

VAC par.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

All - this was my car, running the VAC Bump Steer tie rod kit. Yes the car is inspected and teched before every event. There was no indication on the stud of an upcoming failure. The tie rod spherical was functioning as expected with no play. Installation was absolutely completed to spec. I will have to review how many events exactly were on this tie rod. Below a picture of how it sheared. I think there is a moment arm being created that will eventually fatigue the stud where it meets the spindle. I am switching to stock tie rods for now, and looking into the SLR or AKG kit for the future - I'm not comfortable running the VAC bump steer or their control arms anymore.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by CrookedCommie; 08-31-2021, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
                            This is how their stud is designed, and yes, I believe this led to the failure. The stud should have a shoulder to sit on the spindle or it will eventually shear in this manner. Hence why I am looking into the SLR kit as it has a whole bracket that seats on the spindle.

Comment

Based on this for sale post, it looks to me like VAC updated the design, probably to avoid this exact failure. Of course I haven't seen any info or PSA yet.
                              Bought this kit new, installed one side to test it but went a different route. Price includes shipping within lower 48 states. $220 https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51405561524_61517652d8_c.jpg https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51404805856_54d9cdffa8_c.jpg https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51405783350_95624bb23e_c.jpg

Compare the updated stud to the original design on their website:

Comment

Working...
                              X