Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

super sprint / evolve build

Hi guys,

I've had my 02 m3 vert for 8 years now. My uncle was the original owner from new and I bought from him in 2013. I absolutely love the car and now have 177k miles on it. I've been meticulous with maintenance and the car has been phenomenal. I saw a video online recently of an e46 m3 with the evolve airbox and am getting pulled into the mod vortex here. I'm not looking to improve 10ths on a track here, just looking to have some fun. At this point i've only done some wheel / tire and cosmetic mods:

CSL Wheels on 235/35, 275/30 Michelin pilot sport 4s
    CSL style rear diffuser
    CSL splitters (ebay)
    Stereo

Performance wise it is completely stock. I really want that airbox so am thinking i do a few things with that:

EVOLVE CARBON FIBRE AIRBOX & ALPHA N REMAP - see this on evolve tuning US site for $3500
    Super Sprint V1 header with HJS Catted Section 1 - trying to see if I can still get involved in that group buy
    Coil overs? - would like to fill the wheel well a bit better

Couple questions for you guys:

With the super sprint v1 headers + HJS catted section 1 - is there going to be any noticeable smell? I'm not looking to go back to my modded wrx days where I come out of the car smelling like i was bathing in fuel. V1s seem like they are the preferred upgrade but if the v2s sound like they would be a better suit for me please opine. Also the V1 headers + hjs catted section 1 are all I need correct? They go to stock section 2?

With the headers + air box is the evolve tune sufficient? There are some reputable shops around me - I live in NY /Westchester area and have been going to Euromeccanica. Auto Couture is also in NJ - however neither have a dyno. Would like to confirm these mods are worthwhile without having access to a reputable shop that has a dyno.

Any thoughts on whether coil overs would be worthwhile for me? Really more of a cosmetic thing, would very much not want to make the ride significantly harsher.

Also am contemplating getting a CSL style Status Gruppe front bumper. Mine has definitely taken some abuse on the highway these years and I dont love the way the ebay CSL splitters have held up. So considering replacing the bumper and then have this shop in Bedford (Touch of Glass) do paint correction on the whole car.

Welcome all thoughts here. Thanks for reading through .

First off, does NY have a Smog Test? If so is it easy to by pass because if not what you’re planning to add is likely to fail/be a hassle.

If that’s not a concern I would do the intake before the headers. See if you really want them with the sound you’re getting and performance change.
    Personally I would recommend a 3.91 diff ratio change before headers and cats. Especially on a convertible. And it’s smog legal.

Most street cars don’t need coil overs. And the ride isn’t very compliant unless you get really good ones. You certainly might be better off with quality spring change for ride height on NY roads. Plus convertibles are heavy and have a less solid chassis.
    As for front bumper, just know that the lower you go the more likely the front bumper and/or splitters will get damaged. People on the forum have a lot of opinions on SG products. I have not used them so can’t opine.
    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
      First off, does NY have a Smog Test? If so is it easy to by pass because if not what you’re planning to add is likely to fail/be a hassle.

If that’s not a concern I would do the intake before the headers. See if you really want them with the sound you’re getting and performance change.
      Personally I would recommend a 3.91 diff ratio change before headers and cats. Especially on a convertible. And it’s smog legal.

Most street cars don’t need coil overs. And the ride isn’t very compliant unless you get really good ones. You certainly might be better off with quality spring change for ride height on NY roads. Plus convertibles are heavy and have a less solid chassis.
      As for front bumper, just know that the lower you go the more likely the front bumper and/or splitters will get damaged. People on the forum have a lot of opinions on SG products. I have not used them so can’t opine.
      Thanks for the reply. The annual inspection check includes emissions. Even though I'd be getting a cat I could not pass?

Good idea on getting the air box first. I was thinking it would be easier to do all in one shot, and wasn't sure how difficult it would be to adjust the evolve alpha n tune if I did headers down the line. Sounds like the group buy on headers is over now so I may end up waiting here anyway for a sale.

Any recommendations on springs? Don't want to go so low I'm bottoming out all the time. Just would like the wheel well to not have as large a gap to the tire.

Very much want to balance practicality with a bit more power and better sound with these performance mods. Don't need to eek out every last inch of whp. That airbox literally sounds like a Mclaren F1 so I need 😁

Comment

Just in case you haven’t considered it as part of your bumper replacement options… Euro Bumper. Not sure how it stacks up in terms of cost against CSL style though

Comment

Also: I too have a vert- on Bistien B6 struts/shocks and OEM springs and I love the ride- but i would also be interested in any spring options that lower the ride a touch on a convertible with out compromising ride quality given that heavy rear

Comment

Originally posted by trademe426 View Post
            Hi guys,

EVOLVE CARBON FIBRE AIRBOX & ALPHA N REMAP - see this on evolve tuning US site for $3500

With the headers + air box is the evolve tune sufficient?.

it's been a while since Evolve was really focused on the E46 M3. you should reach out to them and see what level of communication you get from them before purchasing. if they are are slow to respond to your interest then there's a chance it'll be that way after you purchase from them and run into any issues.

Comment

That group buy is over, wait for Black Friday sales for the SS parts.
              2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
              2005 BMW ///M3
              Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
              2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
              2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
              2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

it's been a while since Evolve was really focused on the E46 M3. you should reach out to them and see what level of communication you get from them before purchasing. if they are are slow to respond to your interest then there's a chance it'll be that way after you purchase from them and run into any issues.
                Is there another preferred air box/tune ppl are going with currently?

Comment

i'd recommend you reach out to all of them in regards to stock and tuning availability and see how communicative they are. at moment PCS and hasan seem to be top notch and can make a lot of setups work right

Comment

There is one that most are dissapointed with. That's the Tawain made TURNER MOTORSPORT labled one that ECS makes. Early versions were inexpensive but riddled with issues. I'd wait before buying that one as they seemed to use the public as their research for quality control. Not worth it. Cheaply made.
                    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The annual inspection check includes emissions. Even though I'd be getting a cat I could not pass?
                      Any recommendations on springs? Don't want to go so low I'm bottoming out all the time. Just would like the wheel well to not have as large a gap to the tire.
                      Very much want to balance practicality with a bit more power and better sound with these performance mods. Don't need to eek out every last inch of whp. That airbox literally sounds like a Mclaren F1 so I need 😁
                      Well I'm not sure about how strict NY is. But moving the cats from the stock location may "technically fail" you as will an aftermarket air box. But your state may be more lax.
                      Springs suggestion varies. I like to suggest going with a "progressive rate" spring that is more forgiving on the smaller bumps. One of the more comforatble springs for a street-sport use is the Dinan brand. Not sure how they work on a convertible with it's different weights. Also anything a bit low on springs can wear your dampers out quicker. I recall the Dinan was a modest lowering. You can always use different BMW spring pads to adjust height if too low(which Dinan is not).
                      I'm surprised you think the CSL intake is that exotic sounding coming from a history of modding WRXs. Thats a throaty intake.

Comment

Well I'm not sure about how strict NY is. But moving the cats from the stock location may "technically fail" you as will an aftermarket air box. But your state may be more lax.
                        Springs suggestion varies. I like to suggest going with a "progressive rate" spring that is more forgiving on the smaller bumps. One of the more comforatble springs for a street-sport use is the Dinan brand. Not sure how they work on a convertible with it's different weights. Also anything a bit low on springs can wear your dampers out quicker. I recall the Dinan was a modest lowering. You can always use different BMW spring pads to adjust height if too low(which Dinan is not).
                        I'm surprised you think the CSL intake is that exotic sounding coming from a history of modding WRXs. Thats a throaty intake.
                        Thanks for the feedback, and the info on the Turner box, I did come across that in my search. I'll take a look at dinan springs. I think the intake sounds incredible. Evolve has a lot of videos on their site I keep watching and I can't get enough of them! Too loud of an exhaust on my WRX! Had an 02 and did everything under the sun to it. But was a very fun car.

Comment

Hi guys,

I've had my 02 m3 vert for 8 years now. My uncle was the original owner from new and I bought from him in 2013. I absolutely love the car and now have 177k miles on it. I've been meticulous with maintenance and the car has been phenomenal. I saw a video online recently of an e46 m3 with the evolve airbox and am getting pulled into the mod vortex here. I'm not looking to improve 10ths on a track here, just looking to have some fun. At this point i've only done some wheel / tire and cosmetic mods:

CSL Wheels on 235/35, 275/30 Michelin pilot sport 4s
                          CSL style rear diffuser
                          CSL splitters (ebay)
                          Stereo

Performance wise it is completely stock. I really want that airbox so am thinking i do a few things with that:

Super Sprint V1 header with HJS Catted Section 1 - trying to see if I can still get involved in that group buy
                          Coil overs? - would like to fill the wheel well a bit better

Couple questions for you guys:

With the super sprint v1 headers + HJS catted section 1 - is there going to be any noticeable smell? I'm not looking to go back to my modded wrx days where I come out of the car smelling like i was bathing in fuel. V1s seem like they are the preferred upgrade but if the v2s sound like they would be a better suit for me please opine. Also the V1 headers + hjs catted section 1 are all I need correct? They go to stock section 2?

With the headers + air box is the evolve tune sufficient? There are some reputable shops around me - I live in NY /Westchester area and have been going to Euromeccanica. Auto Couture is also in NJ - however neither have a dyno. Would like to confirm these mods are worthwhile without having access to a reputable shop that has a dyno.

Any thoughts on whether coil overs would be worthwhile for me? Really more of a cosmetic thing, would very much not want to make the ride significantly harsher.

Also am contemplating getting a CSL style Status Gruppe front bumper. Mine has definitely taken some abuse on the highway these years and I dont love the way the ebay CSL splitters have held up. So considering replacing the bumper and then have this shop in Bedford (Touch of Glass) do paint correction on the whole car.

Welcome all thoughts here. Thanks for reading through .
                          SS v1 headers + HJS catted section 1 is not noticeably stinkier than stock. Both are a bit smelly on cold start, both are fine after a couple minutes.

Don't buy anything from Status Gruppe.

I wouldn't run a CSL airbox without converting to CSL engine management (and then having that tuned). They just never run right 100% of the time, in all conditions, without CSL engine management.

Dinan and Eibach springs are both pretty good. Everything else is pretty bad. Pair with Koni yellows for best results. Coilovers add a ton of ability to screw up your cars, and most people do.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Every state is lax compared to CA

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I have the evolve box, and rather than use their Alpha-N, I did a full MAP conversion and tune using Kassel's solution. Driveability has been very good, though I can't say it's perfect. It will occasionally lack throttle response trying to downshift somewhere around 2500-3k rpm. It is quite the nice, simple solution however. Kassel is also pretty close to you I believe, and they seem to do a ton of this type of work.

I see you have an 02, which means you'll need to do the DME conversion with CSL hardware. The production date of my car (08/03) indicated I was supposed to have the correct hardware with the HP DME, but once the project started, I had to get it converted. Kassel did this for me also.

Personally, I wouldn't mess around with headers on a vert. You said yourself you're not really that focused on ultimate speed, which I think is the right approach with that car. Headers and cats are a big expense. The car will likely end up louder, and probably less comfortable top down cruising if you go down that route. If it were me with a vert, I would keep the stock header and cat, put a rasp pipe into sect 1, then maybe a supersprint street muffler. It will sound WAY better, won't drown out the airbox, and will save you thousands of dollars that you can use for a proper fitting bumper and paintwork.
                              Last edited by tnord; 09-08-2021, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X