No announcement yet.

super sprint / evolve build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also: if you want to spend a little less money and complication than a full CSL style carbon air box- the Evolve eventuri is always available at around $1k. I added that with an Evolve tune and am very happy with it- although I’ve never had the alternative. Customer support was swift and excellent. The induction noise is awesome- albeit probably not quite as loud as CSL style

Comment

I know euro headers/sec. 1 are getting more expensive and harder to find but this has always been the sweet spot exhaust setup between stock and full SS. I liked the sound of my euro headers/sec. 1 more than I do the Ssv1/Ss HJS sec. 1, more raspy yes, but that was OK to me all things considered.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys. From some of the responses from Obioban, tnord and others here it sounds like the airbox install/tune is a bit more complex than I thought. If I'm understanding right I should get a CSL ecu and then have that tuned if I'm going the full airbox route? I'd be more comfortable doing this if I can find an excellent shop that specializes in m3s in the northeast. Kassel is a few hours from me but I haven't seen the best feedback of those guys on this forum. I had read about Frank Smith at Tuning Tech down in Maryland on an old m3 forum so I could make a weekend trip out of that if he's still well regarded in the community.

Comment

you don't have to buy a whole new ECU, your existing one can be converted. that's what I did.

I'm not aware of any *bad* feedback regarding Kassel service or their MAP conversion kit. Just that their tune isn't great. Not bad, just not as good as others. I knew it wasn't the best out there when I had it done, but you have to get some sort of tune to get the car to run right if you do the MAP conversion. They already had my ECU and may have done it while it was there? Or maybe the shop I had it done at (Chicane), that suggested I use them did it once it was in the car.

Frank Smith was a hot trend there for a while but I think had a few motors pop and that was the end of that.

I don't really keep up with things as well as others though.

There should be a few shops in your area that are familiar with this install. Seems like there's quite a number of carbon air boxes running around these days.

Comment

The airbox is a bit of a hassle so if you're the type that can't tolerate a bit of headache to get it right then it's probably not for you.

With that said if you want it bad enough, get the karbonius version, turner jumper harness for the maf to iat conversion, and proper software even canned tune will work from a reputable tuner.
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by tnord View Post
              I have the evolve box, and rather than use their Alpha-N, I did a full MAP conversion and tune using Kassel's solution. Driveability has been very good, though I can't say it's perfect. It will occasionally lack throttle response trying to downshift somewhere around 2500-3k rpm. It is quite the nice, simple solution however. Kassel is also pretty close to you I believe, and they seem to do a ton of this type of work.

I see you have an 02, which means you'll need to do the DME conversion with CSL hardware. The production date of my car (08/03) indicated I was supposed to have the correct hardware with the HP DME, but once the project started, I had to get it converted. Kassel did this for me also.

Personally, I wouldn't mess around with headers on a vert. You said yourself you're not really that focused on ultimate speed, which I think is the right approach with that car. Headers and cats are a big expense. The car will likely end up louder, and probably less comfortable top down cruising if you go down that route. If it were me with a vert, I would keep the stock header and cat, put a rasp pipe into sect 1, then maybe a supersprint street muffler. It will sound WAY better, won't drown out the airbox, and will save you thousands of dollars that you can use for a proper fitting bumper and paintwork.
              It feels like something is up with these pre-calibrated Kassel CSL tunes since some people report that they weird drivability issues, such as your 2500-3000 RPM throttle response issue.

Paul Claude Smith's pre-calibrated tune for your exact setup has stock-like drivability and throttle response. He can compare his tune to the one you have and probably figure out the throttle response issue.

Comment

For lowering I agree that the Eibach or Dinan Springs are the way to go along with Koni struts/shocks. I am not sure but I think Koni sells a kit with eibach springs Koni 1145 but not sure if they have a different one for verts.

For the tune I have read great things about HTE but I have no first hand experience.

Comment

I think the main issue with Kassel's CSL tune is that it basically a stock CSL tune, in fact so much so that when I had them send me a DME with their "custom" CSL tune it had CSL spec cam offsets causing an inlet vanos error as it could not adapt.

I reset cam offsets and all was well on that front, however the Kassel tune feels much less civilized than HTE or PCS base tunes I have run.

One tuner remarked after reading my partial (Kassel) "This is 99% stock CSL!", don't mean to bash them, they seem to have a great business and products but their CSL tune seems to keep getting brought up in a negative light.
                  2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                  Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                  Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                  RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                  Instagram

Comment

Interesting. I hadn't heard any of that about Kassel tune prior to installing it.

I was initially trying to get PC to do it, but I never received any response from him. I also talked to BW/Epic, and thought they were pretty expensive for the feedback I was finding. I really wasn't sure where else to look at the time. Kassel was pretty cheap and convenient at least.

I'd be perfectly willing to change up the tune.

Comment

I’m currently in the process of replacing my America Racing Headers with a SS V1 setup. Recently swapped out my TMS box for a Karb box with snorkel. So far the Karbonius is miles better.

I had HTE tune my car with Alpha N the first go around, and was extremely pleased with the end result, especially since it doesn’t adapt in real time like a CSL MAP conversion would.

Low end drivability is excellent, no low end grunts or jerks, amazing power delivery throughout the entire rev band.

Already have a base tune lined up from HTE since I’m swapping to a traditional 6-2 catless header setup, and will report back my initial thoughts and results.

Car will be dyno tuned again (hopefully) within the next few weeks at the same dyno I used the first time around. Will post comparison charts in a separate thread.

Comment

This will be excellent data for the forum, can't wait for the update.
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by tnord View Post
                          Interesting. I hadn't heard any of that about Kassel tune prior to installing it.

I was initially trying to get PC to do it, but I never received any response from him. I also talked to BW/Epic, and thought they were pretty expensive for the feedback I was finding. I really wasn't sure where else to look at the time. Kassel was pretty cheap and convenient at least.

I'd be perfectly willing to change up the tune.
                          If you're going to order an HP DME from Kassel, do it well in advance of when you need it. It took months for me to get mine even though it was promised it much sooner. Got it in the end, but they're not always 100% on top of things.

Comment

Kassel helped me with some CSL ECU programming changes maybe a year ago. it took some back and forth to get to where i needed but they always seemed responsive and eager/willing to try to figure things out

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

If you're going to order an HP DME from Kassel, do it well in advance of when you need it. It took months for me to get mine even though it was promised it much sooner. Got it in the end, but they're not always 100% on top of things.
                              mine was handled I felt in a reasonable amount of time.

Comment

Working...
                              X