Aux Fan Controller M3 vs Base E46

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aux Fan Controller M3 vs Base E46

I'm looking to pick up an Aux fan controller to allow DME control of a Spal fan on my S54 swapped E30. Does anyone happen to know if the M3 and other E46 models share the same Aux fan controller?

Also, I'd be interested to know if anyone has taken a current measurement of the stock Aux fan. Since I'll only have a single pusher fan on my vehicle and quite a bit of space I will probably try to go with the biggest fan possible.

the aux fan, to my knowledge is directly controlled by the DME, not a aux controlller.

Comment

Originally posted by sev View Post
      the aux fan, to my knowledge is directly controlled by the DME, not a aux controlller.
      There’s a metal fan controller box built into the aux fan that translates DME requested fan speed into fan power sent over two wires with speed controlled by PWM. Some spal conversions, including mine, harvest that controller and wire it up to the aftermarket fan so the DME can semi-directly control it.

No idea if the non-M controller box is the same OP, sorry

Comment

Wouldn't RealOEM tell you? Just look up the part on the M3 then click the part number and it will show you which vehicles have that part. It will be a small list of a few if M3 only or a massive list if all E46 (and perhaps other chassis too)

Right well the whole assembly is different at least but RealOEM doesn't get to that level of detail.

Based on these pictures they are the same module. Definitely different overall assemblies though

Non M

M
        Last edited by Shonky; 09-07-2021, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X