No announcement yet.

Full engine rebuild timeline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unfortunately many of these places are like this. My shop had my engine for about 3-4 months IIRC but we kept running into some small issues that needed some back and forth and time to address. However I stayed VERY in touch with my shop - calling them once sometimes twice a week asking for updates and if any issues had risen up. Just make sure you are an attentive customer and show them you want this engine back ASAP. Gotta put some hustle in them!

Comment

Originally posted by Chanman1029 View Post

Have a few you can name? I’d like to look into them for future references.

also, are you saying particularly for the S63 platform you’d go to Lang?
      Lang for crank repairs, certainly. Especially the S54 - they actually heat treat it. Most places don’t.

I use Big Mike’s Speed Machine in Wichita for most of my work. I have a guy who does REM polishing for about 1/3 the cost of what BMW tuners charge.

I live in Houston. Can’t think of a machine shop I’d trust around here. Austin had a guy who built dune buggies that was highly recommended. His engines stay at redline for hours. He was the only guy who could explain the “why”. Decided to sell the car instead of rebuild. I need to see if I can find him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have made contact with another member of this forum who also sent an S54 head to him.

keep in mind, I gave him my block and head, already separated, on June 1st.

this gentleman sent his head to Lang, and Lang received it on July 7th. This gentleman was able to pick up his head as of a couple weeks ago. He said the process took about 6 weeks, though he was originally told about 4 weeks.

things to consider: I was told my head was given to the machine shop on July 15th. This mean it sat in their shop for a month and a half, was there over a month before this gentlemans head go there, and he got his back 2 weeks ago, meanwhile, my head is currently still untouched at the machine shop?

what do I do folks? I’m going to call him first thing tomorrow morning, but what is an appropriate resolution for this? Even though Andrew gave me the vibe that he thought I just wanted abunch of extra free services, should I ask him to compensate the billing for the Head service? Should it be refunded completely?

I’m at a loss for words, I just cant believe he let something so simple get so out of hand, and I cant think of any reasonable justification for this.

Comment

Okay, so a couple days ago I chatted with Andrew Lang about what I have been experiencing. At first he seemed to have multiple excuses for delays with staffing and the machine shops being overloaded with work. I use the term excuses lightly, because all those things may be true reasons for delays. He said the rate at which machine shops in the area are receiving work is unlike anything they are prepared for, and they don't have enough man power to handle it as quickly as they would like to. I asked him why other people work was initiated before mine, and he said it was a mistake on his part. They do not operate off of any sort of computerized programs that list which customers are next in line, it’s apparently all done by his memory. He told me that he’s the one that makes calls on when certain things get done and which projects to start working on, and for that, he took ownership of his mistake. That was honestly about 95% of what I was looking for in our conversation so I’m glad that he was able to say that explicitly. He also assured me that he has been repeatedly asking the machine shop to finish my cylinder head in particular, since its been there a while. He told the machine shop he wanted it done by this Friday, September 17th, the machine shop did not have any particular reaction of not being able to finish it by then, so it seems like they should be able to do it by then. When thats done, he said he will immediately put the rocker assembly back in, and everything will be ready for pick up.

After all this, I think I would still go to Lang, I would just be sure to emphasize urgency a little more. Maybe it was my mistake of initially telling him I wasn't in a rush, I did this because it made me feel more secure that I would receive a better product if they took their time and didn't feel rushed, maybe I jinxed myself idk. I still believe they provide great products, it was just a little upsetting that this was my first, and lasting impression.

Regardless, I look forward to getting everything back and being able to drive my car again soon!

Comment

That’s pretty sloppy, only remembering customers by memory. You’d think he’d have some sort of organization if he runs a business. Did you ask for any sort of compensation at all? Seems like you just let it go after the long wait and basically vague responses.

Comment

Hey I guessed right

Let's see if thegenius46m wants to share his recent exp.
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                Hey I guessed right

I was gonna ask him if his new mods were installed too.
                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by erickhoyos View Post
                  That’s pretty sloppy, only remembering customers by memory. You’d think he’d have some sort of organization if he runs a business. Did you ask for any sort of compensation at all? Seems like you just let it go after the long wait and basically vague responses.
                  They are not a big shop. Probably hard to find reliable workers too.

Finding a decent employee nowadays is like finding gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chanman1029 View Post
                    Maybe it was my mistake of initially telling him I wasn't in a rush
                    Always try to: "Say what you mean, and mean what you say"

'05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by erickhoyos View Post
                      He offered to refund me the money for the head and I could come pick up my un finished head and finished block. However, in this situation, I dont really know anyone else that I’d trust to do the work, so I kinda fet like my hands were tired. Some extra charges had incurred after I paid the full amount in the beginning, and he zeroed out my due balance at the end of the call, however, its was just over $100 I believe, not alot compared to the $4979 bill I paid. I tried not to be greedy and ask for money back on work already done, so it is what it is. Lets just say I learned alot of lesson through this experience.
                      Last edited by Chanman1029; 09-16-2021, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Hey I guessed right

Would definitely like to have him chime in and share his experience!

Comment

Great information. Thanks so much for sharing.

Also, a friend of mine went through TechCraft in LA, which had his head sent out for machining and turned around in 1 month, start to finish.
                          Last edited by LemansM; 09-16-2021, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Matt at Techcraft is good. I would go to him for bearings, vanos, RACP work. Didn't think about a rebuild, but that's good to know!
                            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Hey I guessed right

I’d be interested to hear about this, I’ve considered Lang for some work in the near future.

Comment

Matt at Techcraft is good. I would go to him for bearings, vanos, RACP work. Didn't think about a rebuild, but that's good to know!
                                You have a phone number? Google results dont show very much

Comment

Working...
                                X