Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Matt's number, I'll PM you

Comment

I always interview a shop I’m going to use whenever possible. I have a list of questions I want to ask. I show up and ask.

As you’re discovering, having the best work on your stuff could come with other issues. Every “top tier” shop I’ve talked to were arrogant pricks. I can usually find someone with time and patience.

I stopped by Metric Mechanic’s shop in MO before sending them my 330 diff. I used them, excellent results. Wouldn’t hesitate to use them again for diff work if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine took about a month but would have taken a couple weeks if a part wasn't delayed. I dropped it off already stripped down besides the rotating assembly in the block and the valves/springs in the head. They were doing the standard rebuild. Block was resurfaced, bore/hone cylinders. polish crank, align hone main, file piston rings. Head was just resurfaced, valve job, and valve adjustment. I was getting it back the same way I gave it to them, block with rotating assembly installed, and head with just valves/springs installed. I had called them a couple months before to discuss the build and advise ordering parts. So they knew the whole build and scheduled me in but didn't want it until I had all the parts. Never asked for a real timeline but he said if I have all the parts it would take a few weeks. They quoted $800 for the cylinder head and $1,800 for the block work over the phone. Ended up sticking to their quote so it was $2,800 in total with tax.

I gave them all the new parts besides the valve springs, and took a $1,000 deposit. Bottom end was done following week, head was machined but waiting on the springs. After I dropped off the springs the head was all set a couple days later. If you aren't waiting for parts, I guess it really depends on how fast a shop normally is, if they are backed up, and how much work they need to do. I definitely recommend calling the shop before you do anything so they can tell you what parts are going to work, what exactly needs to be done, and be ready for you. Easy step to make sure at the very least you have a shop that can do a BMW motor, and they know all the parts you are replacing are going to work.

I'm not a machinist or actually know how long it takes, but in theory if they did only one motor start to finish I don't think it would take more than a day. Obviously they have multiple projects so getting it back the next day is unrealistic but I guess its possible. I'd say a realistic expectation would be 3 to 6 weeks for a machine shop if nothing is outsourced and no part delays.

Comment

Working...
        X