Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric steering conversion, anyone done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric steering conversion, anyone done it?

I remember this topic was brought up on the old forums.
    has anyone done a good electric steering conversion?

Im no help here but I must ask... why???

Comment

I feel like hydraulic steering is one of the great "features" of this car compared to electric systems. Also curious why.

Comment

Fly by wire steering? It’s not an easy engineering task to have the same direct feel.

Comment

I have looked at/considered the 911 motorsports electric pump for the m3 and other cars I have owned just haven't ordered one yet to play with.

Comment

subscribed for some updates ..
            benefits i see from this mod (if feasible) ..
            don't want to deal with leaking pump, H/P hose and etc... XD

Comment

Mercedes Clase A electric steering, pretty common here in Europe.

Comment

Abade46 did on his s62 powered M3.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

There’s a Toyota mr2 conversion that people use in race car builds. It’s popular due to having the controller built into the unit iirc

This is an electric vs belt driven hydraulic system so feel is maintain and load is removed from the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by bjz! View Post
                    I misunderstood the question -- it was about replace the mechanical pump with electric motor pump. I thought we were talking about replacing the whole system -- rack/pinion and pump -- with an electric motor directly moving the tie rods, and this is very difficult to design.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

I misunderstood the question -- it was about replace the mechanical pump with electric motor pump. I thought we were talking about replacing the whole system -- rack/pinion and pump -- with an electric motor directly moving the tie rods, and this is very difficult to design.
                      Theoretically this would be doable with e85 Z4 non-M parts.

Comment

W140 A Class Pump fits under normal airbox, but not under CSL/Karbonius. Expect some noises with ignition on.

Toyota Mr-2 is a bit more expensive but also more compact ps-Pump and has ability to control the output pressure. No experience on M3 fitment.

…under construction.

Comment

Performance Eurowerks has.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post

W140 A Class Pump fits under normal airbox, but not under CSL/Karbonius. Expect some noises with ignition on.

Toyota Mr-2 is a bit more expensive but also more compact ps-Pump and has ability to control the output pressure. No experience on M3 fitment.
                            The pump is not located there, is more in the front.

Comment

The pump is not located there, is more in the front.
                              I don’t found good place in my M3 anymore for the A class steering pump with karbonius airbox, so I reinstalled the normal PS-Pump after karbonius install.

Maybe you have a photo from one installed with CSL/karbonius airbox?
                              Last edited by S54B32; 09-14-2021, 11:55 AM.
                              …under construction.

Comment

Working...
                              X