Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at Car for a friend: Is this Normal Operation for SMG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at Car for a friend: Is this Normal Operation for SMG?

Looking at a 2003 SMG car at 11am(est) again for a friend. Never driven SMG so not sure of normal operation. I drove it last night for a bit, going back over to drive again and put on lift.
    1) Normal driving, normal smooth acceleration, not lifting throttle when shifting, car shifts smooth with no clunk or hesitation.
    2) Hard acceleration, not lifting throttle: feels like "virtua"l (computer controlled) throttle lift and clunk when shifting, so much so that your body wants to move forward then back in the seat when the cars appears to go on/off throttle for a second.
    3) Have not driven in auto mode, will do so today.

Supposedly has new SMG pump, new VANOS, RACP plates welded, 138K, body and interior very clean, and VG cond. $15K firm.

He's not overly concerned about the SMG as he can convert to "MT" if needed, but I did want to ask if (2) is normal.

If you are not getting the cog of death on the dash after driving for 20 or 30 minutes then not much else to say. Shift speed/smoothness is dependent on too many variables to declare your description "normal". Age, driveline condition, racp condition, bushing condition (diff, subframe), and tune all matter and will effect the amount of clunk or lack thereof. Some clunk is reasonably normal, excessive clunk means something might be wrong or old.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Understand about the clunk, not to concerned with that, to many variables.
      What about the feel of throttle lift during hard acceleration? Only way to describe would be just before you pressed in the clutch to change a gear you took your foot off the throttle, shifted, then hard on gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post
        Understand about the clunk, not to concerned with that, to many variables.
        What about the feel of throttle lift during hard acceleration? Only way to describe would be just before you pressed in the clutch to change a gear you took your foot off the throttle, shifted, then hard on gas.
        Yeah, sounds reasonably normal.
        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I’ll just give a heads up that auto mode will not behave like a normal torque converter automatic transmission. If you don’t know, the SMG is essentially the same transmission as in the manual cars so it has a clutch. It works, but shifts are going to be VERY awkward and unexpected. Manual mode is best for these cars
          Last edited by erickhoyos; 09-15-2021, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Agreed. I've driven my car in auto mode once for two minutes in all the years I've owned it.

Comment

Thanks. He bought car.

Comment

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post
                Only way to describe would be just before you pressed in the clutch to change a gear you took your foot off the throttle, shifted, then hard on gas.
                With the clutch not released, it doesn't matter how hard to step on the gas. So try again: hard on the gas then release clutch or releasing clutch and hard on gas?

Re SMG shifting, it also depends on the Sport mode level.

Comment

Also reset the smg by going about 40mph then put lever in neutral and pull both paddles for about 5sec then pop back into gear. (It will auto detect speed and will automatically put into right gear)
                  06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post
                    Also reset the smg by going about 40mph then put lever in neutral and pull both paddles for about 5sec then pop back into gear. (It will auto detect speed and will automatically put into right gear)
                    Thanks. I’ll try that. I’m picking up the car for him tonight and bringing it home.

Comment

Working...
                    X