Moton clubsport review Overall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moton clubsport review Overall

After having driving on my Moton clubsports for about 6 months and a few autocross evens I wanted to write up a review.

INSTALL: the shocks are easy to install and same as anywhere coilover but the remote cans are a pita. I did not pay for the quick disconnects so was forced to route the cans up though everything. For the front I removed the wheel well liner and pulled out the headlight assembly. I did not want the cans subjected to engine heat so I mounted then right above the bumper behind the kidney grill. They are easy to adjust in this location and they stay very cool with lots of airflow over then. They also can be seen though the kidney grill and look pretty cool. For the trunk I just removed the wheel well liner and took out the blow out panel on each side between the body of the trunk and the bumper. I cut the side of the blow out panel and then put those though the blowout and put the blow out panel back on. I then mounted the cans to the trunk liners with nutplates and rubber clamps.

Setup: I am running 392 lbs spring in the front and 700 lbs in the rear for flat ride. These are the same spring rates I have ran on other coilovers I have had on this car.
    Front camber -3.2, rear camber -1.5, stock sways.

Street impression: stiff, harsh, and noisy is how I would describe them in short. The valving is very digresive so you feel every single little pebble on the road and does not soak up imperfections at all. If there is a Crack in the road you are going to know about it. It almost feels like have turned my bmw into a go-cart. Over potholes and bridge expansion joints it feels like somthing is going to break as it is very harsh and jarring. But, it does dampen the springs well in terms of not bouncing and one you hit a bump it is over and the suspension does not continue to have reactions after the initial reaction to q bump.
    then there is noise which is by far and large the biggest annoyance with the moton shocks. They sqeek with every movement of the suspension and it is loud! Much louder then my exhuast. If I am another car following it I can hear the shocks inside the other car and over my cars exhuast.. in short, these are racing shocks and they drive and sound like it. If you want a plush ride stay away from these! Compared to the h&r coilovers, stock with springs and kw v3's I would put these as slightly better in road manners then h&r's which are bouncy and below kw v3 and stock with springs by wide margin. Really not even close.

Autocross: This is where they shine but not as much as one would hope. I picked up about a second compared to the completion from the h&r's and maybe a tenth over the kw v3's. Fast weight change motions like slalom it does great and the best I have ever been on at keeping the car planted and composed. Where it struggles is large bumps which is a surprise to me as these have blowoff vales for handling such events. The car gets very unsettled on large bumps and requires corrections and a momentary pause for for applying throttle again for the chasis to settle. The adjustments on it are qlso great. Very clear clicks and each click has a very noticeable change in damping so you can really tell what the adjustment does for handling. Much better then the kw in this respect.

Overall If I had it over to do, I would not have bought these. I have been in cars with jri and mcs and ohlin flags. And put all of them as a cut above in all categories.

I have had them checked out by proformance shock to make sure they are working correctly and everything checks out as normal and even the noise is normal on these. Overal between the shocks, springs, camber plates, and rear top mounts I spent close to 9k on these and could have spent 3k less for mcs. I am not sure if ast has changed the moton's or they have always been like this, but with the cost and reputation I expected more. And regret not sending my h&r coils to fat cat motorsports. I would say in terms of performance and ride quality these should be priced around the same as ohlins road and track to be viable in the market. But instead we are paying alot for a name.

Anyways hope this helps any potential buyers of top level coilovers.

Thanks for the honest review.

You know all is not lost. I bet you could easily revalve these and make them much more tolerable. It might feel less "sporty" but will actually provide much more compliance. Aside from those ridiculously long reservoir hoses, the shock architecture itself appears to be a good foundation and they could be made to feel good.

Comment

MCS or bust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
      2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
        MCS or bust.

I agree 100%! I rode in a buddies m3 with mcs one ways after I bought the motons. They were superior in every way and there ability to dampen and soak up bumps was incredible almost magical. I couldn't believe how amazing they were. Another friend has fortune 2 way adjustable and I find them more pleasant then the motons and no noise!

With the shocks I have had direct experiance with this is how I would rate them from best to worst.
        MCS, OHLINS, tractive, JRI, kw v3, fortune auto, koni, moton, h&r, bc, and tein.
        This is certainly a case of not getting what you pay for.

Comment

Has anyone had experience with MCS 2-ways (remotes, with the canisters)? Are they street-levels of quiet?
          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Wait you spent 9 grand on moton clubsports? I had original moton clubsports in 2006 and they were an entry level da remote res setup around 3.5k. The way evosport set them up the ride was firm but handled amazingly well while soaking up bumps on shitty LA freeways. The car had so much grip with RE11s I could barely break the rear end loose trying and then it would just straighten out like magic. Going around roundabouts and such grip levels were insane while delivering a reasonable ride quality. I understand the new moton is not the same as the old moton so perhaps this data is a bit useful in comparing our experiences.
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
              Has anyone had experience with MCS 2-ways (remotes, with the canisters)? Are they street-levels of quiet?
              I had one of the first sets of MCS doubles w remotes waaaay back in the day. They’re streetable but just know what you’re getting into. If you’re gonna run MCS’s you’re running a track first setup and it may have more nvh or require more spring than what you’re looking to run.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
              2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                Wait you spent 9 grand on moton clubsports? I had original moton clubsports in 2006 and they were an entry level da remote res setup around 3.5k. The way evosport set them up the ride was firm but handled amazingly well while soaking up bumps on shitty LA freeways. The car had so much grip with RE11s I could barely break the rear end loose trying and then it would just straighten out like magic. Going around roundabouts and such grip levels were insane while delivering a reasonable ride quality. I understand the new moton is not the same as the old moton so perhaps this data is a bit useful in comparing our experiences.
                Yeah price is now $7100 without springs or mounts. Give your experience I would have to say that they have gone down hill in a big way and ast has made changes for the worse. I have re71's and I can break the end loose at will definitely not planted and I have done a ton of test and tune to dial the shocks in as best as possible. It's honestly a bit skittish when pushed past the limits of traction.
                Top it off performance shock says that motons are rather delicate and driven on the street I will be lucky to get 20k miles and the norm is now only 12-15k miles between rebuilds. And rebuilds are about 2k. If it's a track car then they told me expect 10-12 track weekends between rebuilds.

Comment

Originally posted by Seattleswimboy View Post

Yeah price is now $7100 without springs or mounts. Give your experience I would have to say that they have gone down hill in a big way and ast has made changes for the worse. I have re71's and I can break the end loose at will definitely not planted and I have done a ton of test and tune to dial the shocks in as best as possible. It's honestly a bit skittish when pushed past the limits of traction.
                  Top it off performance shock says that motons are rather delicate and driven on the street I will be lucky to get 20k miles and the norm is now only 12-15k miles between rebuilds. And rebuilds are about 2k. If it's a track car then they told me expect 10-12 track weekends between rebuilds.
                  Sad to hear but I heard the same when they sold the company. I used to daily it and the ride did turn to utter shit after probably that amount of miles 12-15ish, I wasn't keeping exact track of it but they were sent off to get rebuilt at that point as the ride became intolerable. It will be interesting to compare them to the jrzs I am putting on the car.
                  2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Working...
                  X