Exhaust Rasp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Rasp

Hey Guys.... Ok I know most of you Don't like the RASP but I Love it and would like to get More RASP out of the exhaust! Any suggestions on Upgrades to factory exhaust or a Exhaust that offers more RASP? Thanks

Originally posted by pauliecarzz View Post
    Hey Guys.... Ok I know most of you Don't like the RASP but I Love it and would like to get More RASP out of the exhaust! Any suggestions on Upgrades to factory exhaust or a Exhaust that offers more RASP? Thanks
    love the rasp. Not sure if euro headers+cats give you more or less of it- but I think the car sounds even better with them.
    2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

By keeping most of the exhaust stock, particularly section 2, and installing an aftermarket section 3 you can keep the tone and rasp characteristics of the stock exhaust and just dial up the volume. Perhaps that is what you're looking for? There are many, many muffler options available that will increase volume.
      2012 E92 M3 Competition - LeMans Blue / Speed Cloth - 6MT
      [SOLD] 2004 E46 M3 Coupe - Carbon Black / Black - 6MT

Comment

Shorty headers (Stock, euro, csl, reps like AA/Megan) create a raspier/"racey-er" sound IMO vs the deeper/smoother more "tuner" like sound the long tubes (supersprint/AP/Fabspeed/et al) create.

Remove resonators/cats. That can affect drone too. Adding cats/resonators kills drone/rasp.

Smaller, stock size (55-60mm), pipe diameter gives "better" sound imo. Larger, hi flow 2.5" piping reduces rasp in my experience.

Stock muffler flows well, retains good torque, and has a raspy quality, I would say. A bit "tinny" though.

Stock sect 2 seems to create a lot of rasp as well. The 2.5" sect 2 (SS) or the X pipe sect 2 (SS/SGT/RE) kill rasp.

I really love my setup (stepped headers, straight pipe sect 1, stock sect 2 & 3). It's probably too drone-y and raspy for most, but, to me, it sounds like pure motorsport.

That said, I actually liked euro headers better. They had a better howl to them. The stepped still have it a bit, but the fabspeeds (and any other long tube) I have (second car) do not.

I assume you're (OP) stock? If so, just euro headers alone would be needed. You gain a little torque back with cats in sect 1 (euro cats), but they do calm the exhaust down a little.
        Last edited by Tbonem3; 09-22-2021, 12:19 PM.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

You could try grabbing a second section 1, split off the resonator from each set set and use the straight sections only.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            Shorty headers (Stock, euro, csl, reps like AA/Megan) create a raspier/"racey-er" sound IMO vs the deeper/smoother more "tuner" like sound the long tubes (supersprint/AP/Fabspeed/et al) create.

Remove resonators/cats. That can affect drone too. Adding cats/resonators kills drone/rasp.

Smaller, stock size (55-60mm), pipe diameter gives "better" sound imo. Larger, hi flow 2.5" piping reduces rasp in my experience.

Stock muffler flows well, retains good torque, and has a raspy quality, I would say. A bit "tinny" though.

Stock sect 2 seems to create a lot of rasp as well. The 2.5" sect 2 (SS) or the X pipe sect 2 (SS/SGT/RE) kill rasp.

I really love my setup (stepped headers, straight pipe sect 1, stock sect 2 & 3). It's probably too drone-y and raspy for most, but, to me, it sounds like pure motorsport.

That said, I actually liked euro headers better. They had a better howl to them. The stepped still have it a bit, but the fabspeeds (and any other long tube) I have (second car) do not.

I assume you're (OP) stock? If so, just euro headers alone would be needed. You gain a little torque back with cats in sect 1 (euro cats), but they do calm the exhaust down a little.
            I actually disagree with this as far as stock section 2 vs the RE unresonated X pipe. I had both setups and had noticeably more rasp with the RE. AFAIK the stock section 2 has a resonator so wouldn't that reduce rasp vs unresonated section 2s?

Comment

The H pipe in stock sect 2 is what does it as far as anyone can tell, and to a lesser degree, the routing/shape of the pipes. The S54 in other cars isn't as raspy sounding.

Comment

Catless headers from AA added a lot of rasp to my car

Comment

The H pipe in stock sect 2 is what does it as far as anyone can tell, and to a lesser degree, the routing/shape of the pipes. The S54 in other cars isn't as raspy sounding.
                  Interesting, has anyone confirmed whether the H pipe is actually a resonator or not?

I'm sure everyone has their own definition of "rasp." For me, it's the tinny, raspberry sound right around 3k when you're on it. I don't really like it but it's hardly noticeable now with my CSL box. Full stock exhaust with ACS muffler. Probably will go with euro headers and ebay catted + resonated section 1 in the future. Funny how a lot of people hated the sound of the S54 when it came out but now people love it. Wonder if it's because the e46 community finally figured out exhaust combos that sound good or whether everything else sounds worse now. Guess it could be both.

Comment

I had fabspeed headers, OEM section one and section two, no cats- and it was so raspy I thought something was broken. It was a totally new sound to me.

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post

Interesting, has anyone confirmed whether the H pipe is actually a resonator or not?
                      The small muffler like box is the resonator

Comment

Thanks Boys... Yes car is STOCK. Allot going on here with suggestions! Not looking to go crazy MOD but will experiment starting with the easier steps.
                        To be clear the Resonator is what creates the stock Rasp.? I see 2 resonators, one is in section 1 and the second is in section 2.
                        Last edited by pauliecarzz; 09-23-2021, 10:17 AM.

Comment

No resonators kill rasp

To be clear, there are 2 types of rasp. The word used to describe the overall harsh/mechanical sound the inline 6 and exh piping makes, then the particularly harsh chainsaw sound that comes alive after 3k, but goes away by 4k.

Cats and/or resonators in sect 1 will kill the short lived, heavy "rasp"

Cats/resonators/xpipe or 2.5" sect 2 will dampen the overall raspy character and give way to a smoother "tuner" sound. IMO, the full 2.5" piping makes more of a turbo dyson vacuum cleaner sound.

Comment

No resonators kill rasp

To be clear, there are 2 types of rasp. The word used to describe the overall harsh/mechanical sound the inline 6 and exh piping makes, then the particularly harsh chainsaw sound that comes alive after 3k, but goes away by 4k.

Cats and/or resonators in sect 1 will kill the short lived, heavy "rasp"

Cats/resonators/xpipe or 2.5" sect 2 will dampen the overall raspy character and give way to a smoother "tuner" sound. IMO, the full 2.5" piping makes more of a turbo dyson vacuum cleaner sound.
                            Hi yes I am referring to the sound that comes alive at around 3k rpms. That is the sound I want to slightly intensify.

Comment

Oh interesting. The most intense rasp is stock system with catless euro/megan/AA headers imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X