Rear end noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear end noise

After completing my subframe reinforcement I have a rear end noise that sounds like tire noise. I replaced all bushings with oem rubber and new factory diff cover with the special bmw Motorsport fluid. It is fully speed dependent, doesn’t go away when ebrake is lifted or brakes are applied. I retorqued the diff, driveshaft input and the axles.

I replaced the giubo and csb as well. I marked the shaft before disassembly. I thought it might be the parking brake , but after removing it from both side the noise still persists.

anyone have any ideas of what to check next?

Originally posted by scotty737 View Post
    After completing my subframe reinforcement I have a rear end noise that sounds like tire noise. I replaced all bushings with oem rubber and new factory diff cover with the special bmw Motorsport fluid. It is fully speed dependent, doesn’t go away when ebrake is lifted or brakes are applied. I retorqued the diff, driveshaft input and the axles.

I replaced the giubo and csb as well. I marked the shaft before disassembly. I thought it might be the parking brake , but after removing it from both side the noise still persists.

anyone have any ideas of what to check next?
    Hmm. have you tried driving the car with all of the heatshielding that covers the driveshaft area removed? It's pretty malleable to hard to guarantee it's not rubbing somewhere on the DS or something. I assume when the diff was out you didn't touch the input pinion nut?

Comment

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

i have not, I guess that is my next step. Would that make a noise like this? It is hard to gauge where it is coming from. Other than the noise it seems to be driving normally and no vibrations. And no i didn’t touch anything on the diff other than replacing the cover.
      Last edited by scotty737; 09-24-2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Ended up being a wheel bearing.

Comment

Thanks for updating.
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Working...
          X