Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake pads opinions and possible upgrade

Hey guys,

I'm currently researching brake pads options for my 02 car and I'd like some opinions.

Background:
    - The car will be used mainly on the roads and maybe 1 or 2 track days per year.
    - I don't care about brake pad dust but I don't want them to squeal.
    - Ideally a brake pad that doesn't eat discs too much since it's really expensive to get discs shipped to Uruguay.

Questions:
    1) Which pad should I go for? OEM (Textar I guess)? Or some other brand?
    2) I'm looking into buying ECS caliper brackets (CSL / Comp brackets) to run 345mm discs, reasoning behind this is that it would set me up for Porsche Brembo calipers in the future. Is this a good idea? Would the brake bias shift too much to the front?

Thanks!

Based on my experience, the Ferodo DS2500 fit your criteria. Much better fade resistance and bite than oem equivalents, No squeel ( I used high temp silicone brake lube) and easy on the rotors. It does have quite a good amount of brake dust but also not an issue for you. Based on the buildjournal site of brake bias, the porsche rear caliper actually reduces rear brake bias which I think the m3 needs more of. Hope this helps.

Comment

Sharing my experience, I went with some basic slotted Stop Techs with Akebono pads. Been about 2 years with them and no complaints. I use my car just for spirited weekend drives.

Quiet and very little dust. Perform good enough for me but I'm confident I've never had the car near limits that would require more stopping power.

I feel most people believe stock pads and rotors are great unless your regularly track the car.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
        Based on the buildjournal site of brake bias, the porsche rear caliper actually reduces rear brake bias which I think the m3 needs more of. Hope this helps.
        The full 996 front and rear setup moves bias toward the rear by a few percent more than CSL/ZCP vs regular stock does.
        Last edited by repoman89; 10-01-2021, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I'll look into DS2500.

I won't be doing the 996 calipers yet, but I'm looking into buy the ECS caliper bracket to be able to use the 345mm discs instead of the 325mm ones, one, as a small upgrade and, two, so I only buy discs once if I ever go to a 996 setup.

Discs will be OEM euro spec ones. Already have new rears I bought locally for a steal.

Comment

OE(M)

Comment

Working...
            X