SGT Front bumper installation issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGT Front bumper installation issues.

Alright guys, who has a SGT front bumper and has also run into gigantic install issues? Partially expected with the intercooler but my issues mostly lies within the bumper shock sizing/ alignment. If anyone has photos or measurements of how much they had to cut down the bumper shocks please let me know ( The bumper shock attachment post height is about 3 1/4 inches and the bumpers reinforment bar is 2 7/8 or so. The second matter is the windshield washer bottle. Where the hell am I supposed to mount it????? I bought all the required parts from their website but I haven't been able to figure out how to mount it without custom making a bracket which I really do not want to resort to -.-

Aren't you supposed to use the early build metal bumper carrier for that? Incidentally I have one, and the shocks, if you need that.
    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
      Aren't you supposed to use the early build metal bumper carrier for that? Incidentally I have one, and the shocks, if you need that.
      Honestly man, not sure. It does not say I need one on the parts req'd sheet from sgt. the bumper has its own built in carrier from what I understand.

Comment

Maybe this post can give some clues:

So uh, how is the OEM center grille supposed to secure to the front bumper? With the extra downtime available I've taken up some refresh projects on the car. Over the years and with enough track rubber chunks hitting the car the old OEM front grille became loose on the front bumper. I pulled off the bumper and can't figure out
        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

This process worked for me:

I chiseled/dremeled down the plastic bits on top and on bottom of the mounts then pushed the bumper on. Only the main metal carrier posts should remain. Line the bumper up and push it onto the carrier. It's tight but it'll fit.

After that test fit, I cut the excess fiberglass on the top side of the bumper to follow the lines of the stock bumper.

After that I got some 3M panel bond and stuck on the brackets from the old bumper. After 24 hrs I lined the brackets first then pushed on the bumper a final time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210925_194425.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	130172
          Last edited by M3logik; 10-05-2021, 08:51 AM.
          Instagram: M3Journal

Comment

Originally posted by M3logik View Post

I chiseled/dremeled down the plastic bits on top and on bottom of the mounts then pushed the bumper on. Only the main metal carrier posts should remain. Line the bumper up and push it onto the carrier. It's tight but it'll fit.

After that test fit, I cut the excess fiberglass on the top side of the bumper to follow the lines of the stock bumper.

After that I got some 3M panel bond and stuck on the brackets from the old bumper. After 24 hrs I lined the brackets first then pushed on the bumper a final time.

What about the washer bottle or the horn?

Comment

Forgot to mention, my track car doesn't have the water bottle. Not sure about the horn. Mine is not mounted to the bumper.

Here are some pics that I got from SGT when I ordered my first CSL bumper from them:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Washer Bottle Mounting 3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	117.7 KB ID:	130228 Click image for larger version  Name:	Bumper Trim 3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	115.4 KB ID:	130229 Click image for larger version  Name:	Bumper Trim 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	130230 Click image for larger version  Name:	shock insert.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.7 KB ID:	130231

Comment

Originally posted by M3logik View Post

Even after all that you still are not able to use the original bolts that secure the bumper to the shocks right?

I as well had to cut the top and the bottom of the bumper shock mounts so that they would fit into the building carrier but they never did line up with the holes in the carrier so I could never use the bolts. If I pulled the bumper out to where the bolts lined up then the bumper stuck out way too far.

Comment

I didn't even try to use the original bolts to secure the bumper to the shock mounts. 2 things there... First, you'd need to be dead on with the fitment in order for this to work (while losing quite a bit of adjustability). Secondly, I don't think the holes in the mounting bracket are the same size as the stock bolts. I suppose you could get some other bolts though. On my bumper, one bolt hole was molded at a slight angle, so it made it difficult to even get a bolt in there in the first place.

With that said, I did quite a few trackdays with the SGT CSL bumper on my previous build and did not have a problem. That thing will be pretty snug on the front of the car. I think the bolts are there to ensure the bumper doesn't go flying off in case of a side or angled impact to the front of the vehicle.

I think this bumper would be much better with a redesign to become closer to stock. But with that said, I'm not ready to spend $3k on an OEM CSL bumper, so I'll have to make due with this one!

Let's hope Karbonius decides to create an OEM CSL Bumper clone. I'd be first in line.

Comment

People still buy SGT trash parts?

Comment

Originally posted by Chas3n View Post
                      I mean I've had mine for like 3 years.

Name:	2021-08-26_0006.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	130842

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

Where did you attach your horn and washer bottle?

Comment

I got the bumper with the car, no need to be a dick.

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

Not to be a dick but…

I bet it took a lot of effort to fit, and still isn’t ideal.

Also fuck mike mig’s and his bullshit products and awful customer service.

Ask me how I really feel.

Comment

Not to be a dick but…

I bet it took a lot of effort to fit, and still isn’t ideal.

Also fuck mike mig’s and his bullshit products and awful customer service.

Ask me how I really feel.

Comment

Working...
                              X