Track Toolkit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Track Toolkit?

Trying to put together a separate toolkit to take to the track so I don’t keep having to scavenge the garage tool chest each time.

Any recommendations for off the shelf tool kits where the case is decent and sockets don’t fall everywhere?

Knipex makes nice tool bags (a lot of other brands do as well) but for what you are talking about I would purchase some short socket rails with interchangeable inserts and put them in the bag to keep the sockets organized. Wrench rolls, bag/backpacks with adjustable or expandable tool holders etc. Check out KCtool.com You can definitely find something there.

Ahh you are looking for single set to do it all. That will be difficult. You can really pare down what you actually need and buy the products individually otherwise you are just going to be buying extra stuff you don’t need. Took me a little while to shift from quantity to necessary. I carry in a Knipex bag:

1 socket holder with Williams 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 16, 17 (protected socket) + sockets needed for the brakes you run and some torx)

Knipex Side Cutters (for plastics etc)

Knipex Plastic Rivet Tool

Knipex Pliars

Williams 3/8 extensions-short and medium (for yanking on coils)

Milwaukee M12 Stubby with Williams 1/2 adaptor

Magnetic Pick Up Tool

Sylglide

Silicon Spray

Antiseize

Goggles

Brake Cleaner

Shop Towels

Wrench Roll

Tire Gauge

Pyrometer

Caliper spreader

Dead blow

1/2 Torque Wrench

Turbo Towels

A lot of zip ties

Two extra ignition coils

Extra Pads

I’m sure I am missing something but that setup has yet to let me down yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fresh1179; 10-09-2021, 11:22 AM.
    2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
    [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

^ plus one throttle position sensor.

I don’t sweat try to have everything I could possibly need— there’s always someone to borrow a tool from in a pinch.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Ideally, just a miscellaneous tool kit for me would contain:

knipex cobras, pliers wrenches (i don't know what the plastic rivet tool is no such thing)
        proto, wright, or hazet ratchet and socket set in aforementioned sizes with wobble extensions
        hazet torx and etorx sockets
        wera torx screwdrivers
        mayhew hook/pick set
        deadblow mallet i like halder, nupla and trusty cook
        makita xwt14z or milw mid torque
        safety seal tire repair kit
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Basic 100+ tool set. Bag of pliers. Some extra fluids. Tire pump.

But mostly AAA car tow. Most of the time if something goes wrong, unless it's something simple, I call it a day and tow it.

Comment

Originally posted by simonnim View Post
            Basic 100+ tool set. Bag of pliers. Some extra fluids. Tire pump.

But mostly AAA car tow. Most of the time if something goes wrong, unless it's something simple, I call it a day and tow it.

Noting that AAA doesn't like tows from race tracks. As in - they will ask the tow truck driver if it is a track. If he says yes - they will (by policy) refuse the authorization. That is from a tow driver who has done a lot of calls to a track. The tow driver may say its not a track just to get the fee - but.... Some tow drivers won't go on to the grounds, knowing the issue.

I know people that have gotten a cheap local tow to 5 miles away from the track and then called AAA.

Comment

I've not had that experience out here in California. Guess I'm lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                ^ plus one throttle position sensor.

I don’t sweat try to have everything I could possibly need— there’s always someone to borrow a tool from in a pinch.
                Agreed. The actual parts and fluids are more important than the tools. The guys with the $500,000 trailers usually have a set of tools you can borrow. They are also good friends to make haha.

2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Pretty good starting list above. I got a set of Milwaukee packout boxes to organize my tools, one of the best things I've done. They stay in the trailer unless I'm driving to an event, in which case they're easy to grab and toss in the trunk.

I also have what is now a mature checklist I use before going to any event. I'll share with anyone that wants it for a starting point, just PM me an email address and if you prefer Excel or pdf.

Comment

Add:
                    5mm & 6mm hex bits
                    T10,15,20,30 bits
                    Jack stands (non- HF ones... )

Really need to answer...what are you willing to do at the track? That will guide what else you need to bring.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                      Add:
                      5mm & 6mm hex bits
                      T10,15,20,30 bits
                      Jack stands (non- HF ones... )

Really need to answer...what are you willing to do at the track? That will guide what else you need to bring.
                      Most of the time I just do brakes and wheels. But on occasion done things like o2 sensors, tps, coils, minor suspension stuff, etc.

I’m not swapping clutches at the track or anything. There is a limit of what i’ll do to save a weekend. If its
                      Ended up picking up the Dewalt socket set from costco. Seems decent but I don’t need all the SAE crap.

I have a tool roll for wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers etc. But the socket rails I have are too long to pack out.

Startup Idea: Car make/model dependent toolkits. Only buy what you need!

Comment

SAE crap is the bane of getting a good, compact tool set. It’s really amazing that nobody seems to offer a set without it.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                          SAE crap is the bane of getting a good, compact tool set. It’s really amazing that nobody seems to offer a set without it.
                          lol...so true! But we're in 'Murica...find a buddy who does home stuff. He'll use all of the SAE stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by R717 View Post
                            Pretty good starting list above. I got a set of Milwaukee packout boxes to organize my tools, one of the best things I've done. They stay in the trailer unless I'm driving to an event, in which case they're easy to grab and toss in the trunk.

I also have what is now a mature checklist I use before going to any event. I'll share with anyone that wants it for a starting point, just PM me an email address and if you prefer Excel or pdf.
                            Packout is excellent, as are the drawers.

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Most of the time I just do brakes and wheels. But on occasion done things like o2 sensors, tps, coils, minor suspension stuff, etc.

I’m not swapping clutches at the track or anything. There is a limit of what i’ll do to save a weekend. If its
                            Ended up picking up the Dewalt socket set from costco. Seems decent but I don’t need all the SAE crap.

I have a tool roll for wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers etc. But the socket rails I have are too long to pack out.

Startup Idea: Car make/model dependent toolkits. Only buy what you need!
                            Hahaa good one, people are too cheap to buy good tools.
                            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Here’s that I have in my toolbox…

Combo short 1/4 & 3/8” ratchet
                              1/4” and 3/8” extensions
                              1/4 drive sockets 8mm to 13mm
                              3/4” drive 14, 16-19mm, 24mm sockets
                              2x 17mm sockets
                              E10-E14 sockets
                              T10,15,20,30,50 bits
                              4mm to 6mm hex bits
                              7,8,10,11,13,14,16,17,18,19mm ratcheting wrenches
                              Adjustable wrench
                              Ratcheting screwdriver w/bits (Phillips, flat of varying sizes
                              Breaker bar
                              Torque wrench
                              Battery impact
                              Small impact
                              Pad spreader
                              Air gauge
                              Pry bar
                              Crimped
                              Multimeter

Trailer box has:
                              BFH
                              Jack stands
                              Shop towels
                              Brake cleaner
                              Funnel
                              Small fasteners, crimp connectors & hose clamps
                              Anti-seize
                              Extra fluids

I can put a tool on just any fastener on the car.

It depends. If I’m going far away, I’m going to be able to fix most things. I’ll pack more parts the further I travel.

Parts I keep on hand
                              Wheel studs and nuts
                              Spark plugs
                              Ignition coils
                              TPS
                              Brake pads
                              VANOS line

Parts I need to start packing for long trips
                              Belt
                              Tensioner & pulley
                              Water pump
                              Slave cylinder
                              Master cylinder
                              Gas pedal
                              Throw out bearing (yes…I’d do it at the track)
                              O2 sensors
                              Camshaft sensors
                              Crank sensor
                              Extra front splitter + hardware

Comment

Working...
                              X