Rackdoctor rubbish steering rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rackdoctor rubbish steering rack

Last year I've decided to purchase a remanufactured ZHP 712 steering rack from Rackdoctor and to export it to Bulgaria (that cost me additional shipping cost, waiting time, VAT and so on). After 3 months waiting I finally got it installed on my car. Unfortunately, after less than 500 miles I found that there is some knocking in it. And 500 miles later I parked the car in my garage and on the next day when I went into the garage I saw a big red spot on the floor. Most of the hydrolic fluid was on the floor and the rest of it was into the rack's boots. I removed the boots in order to drain the fluid from them and then I found that the rack is quite rusty (I've bought the rack with new inner rods and boots, so it was assembled by Rackdoctor). I got really angry and bring the rack to a local company to inspect it's condition and to say if it could be saved. As it looked from the first look - the rack was totally damaged, it is quite rusty, previously machined and scratched. I decided to bring it to local company, but not to send it as it is to Rackdoctor because I didn't have the time to wait again several months, the car to be on jack stands and to pay again shipping, vat and all other taxes. In my opinion, all rust damages can't happen on a rebuild rack for less than 1000 miles on a car that is kept in a dry garage and driven only in sunny days. After contacting the Rackdoctor they refused to make a refund because I have disassembled it, but when I send them the pictures they stopped answering. So, be careful with these guys because in my opinion they sell cleaned old racks in unknown condition but not a remanufactured ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7724.JPG
Views:	924
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	131185 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7723.JPG
Views:	870
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	131186 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7718.JPG
Views:	909
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	131187 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7721.JPG
Views:	856
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	131188 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7720.JPG
Views:	847
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	131189 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7820.JPG
Views:	837
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	131190 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7817.JPG
Views:	852
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	131191 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7726.JPG
Views:	861
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	131192
    Last edited by injekciona; 10-11-2021, 12:00 PM.
    Jet Black E46 M3
    ex - Broom Yellow Fiat Coupe 400++ hp 1.8 -> 2.0 16VT 👿
    R.I.P. Speed Red Fiat Coupe 2.0 16VT 👻

Yes, many have reported that rack Dr is junk.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Sorry you had to go through that. I can attest to rack doctor being shady. They didn’t issue me a core refund or respond to any of my emails/calls. I only got my core refund back after getting PayPal involved.

Comment

So far no problems with mine. About 2k since installation.

Jesse
        Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Dude is a genuine scam. Not sure he even rebuilds the racks. I know a handful of people that have overpaid going through him just to get a high mileage rack that has considerable input shaft play that he claims "rebuild." You are better off buying the best used rack you can find and testing it yourself. Worked out well for me twice.
          2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Heres my RackDoctor story: Im actually on my 3rd steering rack overall on this car. Replaced the original 176k mile unit with a used ZHP I bought on ebay, not even a couple thousand miles later it almost immediately started leaking and then internals started going to the point my car would have a persistent left pull even after alignment. Indy figured out it was the rack was worn causing the issue with the alignment. OK, thats my fault for not rebuilding a used rack, so I decided to replace it with a rebuilt standard unit from RackDoctor. Granted I know they dont do full internal rebuilds, just fresh new seals and I think thats it; fine the price is fair and I junked my original high mileage one. I get the rack to my indy and they install, it then literally blew up and started leaking as soon as they turn on the car as I was on my way to pick it up.... ok bad luck.

RackDoctor sends me out a replacement, it installs fine. Its been less than a year and maybe 3k miles on it if that, and the internals are wearing out and getting progressively worse. Now my steering has a massive deadzone play like my steering column guibo has disintegrated (but Ive replaced that when I first bought my car, tie rods are newish, everything else related to steering is new/replaced). Its so bad I can stand outside and wiggle the steering wheel while staring at the front drivers wheel and there's no movement at all. Oh also the rack is wet again, so even the 'rebuild' they do do which is really just changing seals, thats not even good. I dont know if E46 steering racks internals are just made of wet tissue paper or every rack I come across is horribly worn. My daily beater Acura sedan has 170k+ miles on it, its all original steering components and the steering is sharp, responsive and direct...

Anyway at this point I know now I have to suck it up and take the rack to a local rebuilder and get it properly rebuilt in and out. Lesson learned, and one i seem to keep forgetting: do it right the first time and dont have to do it again.

2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
            Instagram
            Youtube

Comment

A couple summers ago he had a bad batch of input shaft seals... didn't warn anyone and was just waiting for people to have failures, then warranty at that point. I had (2) racks on customer cars leak basically right out the gate that I had to eat the labor on replacing plus the down time.... frustrating.
              '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
              Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
              Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

This thread has me nervous for the rack I put on my E30… the car will be back together soon.
                '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Moral of the story is, avoid rackdoctor like the plague.
                  2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                    Moral of the story is, avoid rackdoctor like the plague.
                    Yup. Fuck that guy. What you all don't realize is that once the rack has input shaft play, there is no one current that is repairing this. It's more than just the seals.
                    2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
                    2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Working...
                    X