ZCP E46 M3 vs. 1M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZCP E46 M3 vs. 1M

Anyone have both and can compare them? Or have extensive time in a 1M?

I have a ZCP E46 M3 and it has been my favorite car to date in terms of performance and practically (previous 991 911, WRX). To me the steering, engine, and "feel" of the car is great.

​​​​​​I've been hearing how the 1M is a more "fun" car and has better steering feel than a ZCP E46 M3. Wanted to know if this is true? I wish I could drive one but being that there are so few, it seems to be challenging.

I know I prefer NA engines over turbos but I'm reading that the 1M doesn't feel like a regular turbocharged car (did not like the turbo lag and boost surge of the WRX).

I haven't driven a 1M either, but at least to me, there wouldn't be enough difference in the recipe to justify the switch. Just my personal opinion!

Have you looked into an upgraded rack on your M3 to improve steering feel? I upgraded to a Z3 rack, many go ZHP....but most (including me) are very satisfied with that mod to improve feel.

It seems like you have a taste for cars with different configurations (RR, AWD, etc.), so why pay a major premium for a slightly better take on a small BMW coupe? And it's not as though an E46 M3 is considered a "mid-pack" entry in the history of small BMW coupes either, so is it just a case of "the grass is greener" with 1M?

Plus the looks are a pretty massive downgrade in my eyes. It's totally subjective but I'd rather have the classic E46 M3 shape (second only to 911?) vs. the 1M's "micro machines" bulbous look. I'd posit that was right at the time BMW's styling took a pretty sour turn.

That said, I can always watch Clarkson's TG review and get fired up about the 1M again. But given we'll live in a world of turbocharged-everything for the foreseeable future (until ICE is outlawed entirely), I'm quite happy to stick with N/A! 🤓
    2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
    ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

The 1M feels every bit as turboed as it is.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I own both
        They drive very different from each other.
        The steering is quicker on the 1M, but I prefer my E46 with the ZHP rack. I tend to get exactly the steering output I expect when driving the E46 vs getting moor than expected and unwinding the wheel in the 1M.
        I find the E46 much easier to drive at/near the limit while the 1M tricky and threatening to kill me if I have one moment of attention lapse, need to be ready with fast hands for counter steering.
        Both cars are modified, the e46 is a quick car with 440ish, the 1M is a fast car with 500ish. The E46 is more predictable, easier to access while the 1M is definitely a hooligan.

Comment

1M has an N54 which is an absolutely boring motor compared to an S54.
          Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post
            I haven't driven a 1M either, but at least to me, there wouldn't be enough difference in the recipe to justify the switch. Just my personal opinion!

Have you looked into an upgraded rack on your M3 to improve steering feel? I upgraded to a Z3 rack, many go ZHP....but most (including me) are very satisfied with that mod to improve feel.

It seems like you have a taste for cars with different configurations (RR, AWD, etc.), so why pay a major premium for a slightly better take on a small BMW coupe? And it's not as though an E46 M3 is considered a "mid-pack" entry in the history of small BMW coupes either, so is it just a case of "the grass is greener" with 1M?

Plus the looks are a pretty massive downgrade in my eyes. It's totally subjective but I'd rather have the classic E46 M3 shape (second only to 911?) vs. the 1M's "micro machines" bulbous look. I'd posit that was right at the time BMW's styling took a pretty sour turn.

That said, I can always watch Clarkson's TG review and get fired up about the 1M again. But given we'll live in a world of turbocharged-everything for the foreseeable future (until ICE is outlawed entirely), I'm quite happy to stick with N/A! 🤓
            The ZCP steering ratio seems pretty good to me. From what I've read and remember, doesn't adding the quicker 13.7 ratio ZHP rack still make it the same 14.5 ratio of the ZCP due to the tire rods?

Agree that the looks of the 1M look too squished which almost looks cartoonish to me. The E46 M3 to me is one of the best looking BMWs of all time.

I agree also that I'm just thinking, is the grass greener with the 1M? But my choice for the ZCP E46 M3 was my love for the S54 and the sublime upper end RPM power that is just intoxicating. Wondering if the spikey delivery of the 1M is more fun?

Comment

Originally posted by Acetech View Post
              I own both
              They drive very different from each other.
              The steering is quicker on the 1M, but I prefer my E46 with the ZHP rack. I tend to get exactly the steering output I expect when driving the E46 vs getting moor than expected and unwinding the wheel in the 1M.
              I find the E46 much easier to drive at/near the limit while the 1M tricky and threatening to kill me if I have one moment of attention lapse, need to be ready with fast hands for counter steering.
              Both cars are modified, the e46 is a quick car with 440ish, the 1M is a fast car with 500ish. The E46 is more predictable, easier to access while the 1M is definitely a hooligan.
              Do you get more steering feedback from the M3 than the 1M?

​​​​​​Probably a difficult question, but, if you had to choose 1 of the two, which would it be?

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post
                Totally this. The E46 was pretty much exactly the end of the line. Saw a picture of facelifted E46 with its front bumper smashed in a few days ago and it looked like an E87 lol.
                2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Comment

Originally posted by hsq View Post
                  Thanks for all the replies.

Agree that the looks of the 1M look too squished which almost looks cartoonish to me. The E46 M3 to me is one of the best looking BMWs of all time.
                  Lol 1m looks like a clown car to me. Top half of the car is so tall 🚗. I don’t think the car would be as sought after if it wasn’t so limited in production #.

Comment

I owned a 1M for three or so years. I very much miss the car. The looks are totally subjective, so that is a personal decision. The e46 m3 is one of the more timeless designs BMW has made, IMO. The 1M looks very aggressive but as others have said at certain angles it looks goofy.

From a driving perspective, I think they are different enough for one to justify owning both, but if I could just have one it would depend on my usage. At the racetrack, I prefer the power delivery and redline of the s54. On the street is where the 1M really shines for me. The short wheel base and low end torque made it very fun at lower speeds. The s54 really needs to be rev'd for me to enjoy it. NA throttle response is impossible to replicate in a boosted motor. So you certainly lose that with the N54. Handling wise, the 1M always felt a bit more on edge/twitchy. Just depends on what you want out of a car. I appreciate cars that are somewhat imperfect and require a bit more skill and awareness to drive fast. The 1M certainly delivers that in spades.
                    Last edited by lcrain; 10-29-2021, 08:00 AM.

Comment

"On the street is where the 1M really shines for me. The short wheel base and low end torque made it very fun at lower speeds. The s54 really needs to be rev'd for me to enjoy it."

a buddy of mine owns the 1M, and I was fortunate to drive it. I have not driven enough of either car to give as detailed breakdown as the above reviews, but my initial response was on par with what I read above. lcrain nails it with the comment above, the 1m was more immediate with torque and speed at lower rpms, giving an easy impression of 'SPORTS" car. The E46 seems more nuanced, coming alive as "SPORTS'" car in the higher rpms.

Its weird, they are like having two kids: same family, same genes, same environment, many physical attributes that kind of match ( this applies to kids more than these two cars ) . . . but as much as they share, they are so very different.

And unlike my kids, I do have a strong preference in the cars. E46

Comment

Working...
                      X