EML + TCS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EML + TCS

I was highway driving today when the EML (yellow) light turned on. I was driving fine for about another 15 minutes and the TCS (yellow) light also turned on. The car felt like it went to limp mode but I was able to make it to work as it was only a couple miles away at that point. Should I take it to the closest shop (about 5 min from work) or try to drive it to a better shop an hour away and closer to home? I am thinking it may be wiser to take it to the closer shop for safety purposes although I don't trust their work as much.

When you turn off the car and back on if the lights don't come back, I'll guess throttle position sensor by the oil filter housing.

Comment

I’ve had those lights come on years ago and like Halftim3 said it could be the TPS by the oil filter housing or I in my case it was the TPS on the throttle actuator reporting that the actuator was not hitting the requested position, aka failing actuator. New actuator solved it after diagnosing it. My car would only do it once warm. I would scan with INPA or ISTA for more info. You may have a code that a generic reader can see as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Halftim3 View Post
        When you turn off the car and back on if the lights don't come back, I'll guess throttle position sensor by the oil filter housing.
        I just went out and restarted it and no lights turned on -- just a quick check, didn't drive it around or leave it on that long.

Comment

Do you guys think it is safe to drive home (35-40 min)? I am debating that versus dropping it off at a shop close to work.

Comment

When my car did this it ended up in limp mode which can be a bit dicey to drive in traffic so I guess it depends on the drive and I’d you can safely make it in limp mode

Comment

I had a similar issue happen, my TPS near the oil filter had come loose, the screws needed several turns to be snug. This is due to another shops incompetence. Check for tightness on both would be my advice, and scan for codes. Seems like one of them may be on the way out.
              2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT
              M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/CatCams 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I think I will take the slower back roads home and see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                X