Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split Vanos Line!

Hey Everyone!

It's been awhile, this is my first post in our new internet home. If you wouldn't mind lending some of your collective wisdom, i'd appreciate it.

The other day i was driving and suddenly noticed lots of smoke trailing my e46 m3, i pulled over straight away and found oil streaking behind the car and a moderate puddle developing underneath. There was oil everywhere so i cleaned it up, topped it off the next day, and watched for the leak while it was running... turns out the braided high pressure vanos line the previous owner installed has a hole/split right next to the chain tensioner and it pours out pretty quickly while the car is running. I have a new line and washers ordered but i obviously need to raise the car to install the bottom banjo bolt, which i can't do where it is at the moment.

My question is mainly whether i can or should drive a short distance (300-1km) to a parking lot/mechanic where I can quickly raise it and swap out the line. Provided I stop immediately if i get any low oil warnings, do i risk damaging the engine or the vanos by driving it?

Many thanks!
    Mitch
    Last edited by MVAM3; 11-01-2021, 02:30 AM.

Tow it or push it.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I wouldn't risk even starting the engine with known damage to the vanos line, the leak may worsen and you could run into the red oil light and create bigger issues because you didn't want to pay for a tow truck.
      Play it safe.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Vanos line holds something like 1,200psi of oil pressure. You'll be able to do the job with the front on stands. Otherwise just tow it. Don't drive it.

Comment

One idea: replace the top banjo bolt with a solid bolt with some Teflon on its threads to seal off the oil, and keep rpm steady to minimize Vanos timing change, no harm though.

Comment

Short solid bolt is OK and don't need to bolt down the oil pipe banjo connector.

Comment

Heck you could even just clamp the vanos line with vise grips so it doesn't leak for the short drive.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                Heck you could even just clamp the vanos line with vise grips so it doesn't leak for the short drive.
                but don't let the vise grips got into the AC and main belts!!! Too risky.

Comment

Thank you all for the responses!

I knew it was wishful thinking i might be able to drive it in its current state, some of these other ideas are interesting but i think I'll play it safe and just get it towed. Cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X