SMG pump removal from the top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMG pump removal from the top

any member has experience with SMG pump removal process?

can everything be done from the top without lift up the car?

for example, access the SMG pump connector?

from the TIS repair document, it says, disconnect the connector from the bottom ..
    and from various DIY images, it seems like the connector is easier access from the wheel wall..

anyone can share insights?
    car's parked at public areas, hoping i don't need to spend the effort to bring jack and deal with all those hassles ..

thank you

You can access the wiring harness by turning the wheels to the right. Everything else is from the top. No lift required. Seems like the plastic skid plate may have to come off.
    Last edited by oceansize; 11-03-2021, 03:19 AM.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

"Everything" is a rather broad term, but I removed/relocated my SMG pump "from the top". The SMG hydraulic connectors are readily accessible from the top once you have removed manifold. The unit is bolted onto crankcase and there is a single electrical umbilical cord to the front.

Nonetheless, not a job I would be doing on the street. Its akin to an organ transplant. You will lose hydraulic fluid and will have to bleed the system for a start (assuming you want to put the SMG pump back againt that its)..
      Last edited by poss; 11-03-2021, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
        You can access the wiring harness by turning the wheels to the right. Everything else is from the top. No lift required. Seems like the plastic skid plate may have to come off.
        thank you for the sharing..

i'll start off from the top first then .. appreciate the replies

Comment

There’s one bolt on the bottom of the pump that holds it in and you have to undo it to remove the pump completely which is far easier to get to from the bottom

take the wheel out - you can feel the bolt to undo but you won’t be able to see it.

bitch of a job to do as it’s almost impossible to get the pump back in properly without ruining one of the 3 rubber bumpers from the top

Comment

Originally posted by NZ_M3 View Post
            There’s one bolt on the bottom of the pump that holds it in and you have to undo it to remove the pump completely which is far easier to get to from the bottom

take the wheel out - you can feel the bolt to undo but you won’t be able to see it.

bitch of a job to do as it’s almost impossible to get the pump back in properly without ruining one of the 3 rubber bumpers from the top
            damn .. appreciate the insight..
            exactly what i am seeking for before i try messing with it..

but it's still possible to feel around the bolt from the top, right?
            enough wrenching room to drop the tool in, and work on the bolt?

thank you

Comment

I relocated my SMG pump a couple years ago which is why I can't remember all the details but I found an old DIY I had stored away. Page 10 has the bolt in question that is located by the connector.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by oceansize; 11-03-2021, 05:51 PM.
              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                I relocated my SMG pump a couple years ago which is why I can't remember all the details but I found an old DIY I had stored away. Page 10 has the bolt in question that is located by the connector.
                thank you very much for the pdf!!!
                clear reference pictures~

looks like i have to jack up at least the driver side to make this job easier.

appreciate all the replies and help~~~~

Comment

Working...
                X