S54 developed a wierd rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 developed a wierd rattle

Hey guys my car developed a wierd rattle on idle, and its only when the car is getting to operating temps, i dont hear it when full temp.
    It started when a shop changed the rod bearings, oil pump valve, and supposely fixed some oil leaks from the side of motor idk if it was the chain tensioner or vanos supply line, also oil was changed to millers 10w60 nt+
    vanos gears was "rattle proffed" with baisan units (no rattles on the original units bud done it preventively)

Originally posted by Santino View Post
    its only when the car is getting to operating temps, i dont hear it when full temp.
    It started when a shop changed the rod bearings, oil pump valve, and supposely fixed some oil leaks from the side of motor idk if it was the chain tensioner or vanos supply line,
    Operating temp vs full temp?

Check if the vanos ACC oil pipe is bolted down or loose. Why not bring it back to the shop?

Comment

Does it go away with revs?

Recently had this happen to my engine but more of a knocking noise. Took it to the same shop that serviced the car entirely, ie vanos rods subframe, ended up being the intake sproket on the vanos.
      2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post
        ie vanos rods subframe, ended up being the intake sproket on the vanos.
        What was wrong with the intake sprocket?

I was wondering what is the "vanos rods subframe"; took me half a minute to realize what it is

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

What was wrong with the intake sprocket?

I was wondering what is the "vanos rods subframe"; took me half a minute to realize what it is
          It was making noise when we spun it, it was not completely smooth. I think it may have had worn out. It was changed with a newer unit and problem gone. Again though, my sound was only apparent at idle, and when the car was warm too. At temp it would be very noticeable and its was a much louder knocking noise.
          2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

have to invastigate some more when, vanos solenoid will come back from service.
            mine is making a noise when cold on idle.
            have to check the vanos line lead

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post
              It was making noise when we spun it, it was not completely smooth. I think it may have had worn out. It was changed with a newer unit and problem gone. Again though, my sound was only apparent at idle, and when the car was warm too. At temp it would be very noticeable and its was a much louder knocking noise.
              I have not heard a case of noisy intake cam sprocket. How can one tell if the noise is not by the chain but the sprocket? Maybe the cam sleeve bolts were loose.

Comment

to me, the noise sounds as if coming from the VANOS unit. I would check the roller bearing for the pump disc assembly. the spline shafts (if the anti-rattle kit was applied), and the chain tensioner. Sounds like they have to go back in.

Comment

OP might try to remove the belts to see if it changes.

Comment

Working...
                  X