E53 X5 ring and pinion gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E53 X5 ring and pinion gears

Does anyone here have any knowledge if the ring and pinion gears from the e53 x5 4.6 and 4.8 will work. There was is an article on rightfootdown.com that says they’re the same 210mm size and they come with either the 3.91 or the 4.10 gears. Are they the same as the Motorsport gears. Here’s the article https://rightfootdown.com/opinions/c...gears-upgrade/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most early model V8s come with a 210mm diff - E24, E28, E32, E34, E39 M5, E46 M3, Euro E36 M3.

The E53 X5, E60 M5, E63 M6, and E9X M3 have a type 215 diff that uses roller bearings.

Not sure if you can pull a 3.85 out of an E9x M3 and swap it into an E46 diff case.

I have a disassembled 3.62 from an E46 M3. If someone has a spare R&P from an X5...I can try to install and test it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Not sure if you can pull a 3.85 out of an E9x M3 and swap it into an E46 diff case.
      You can, that's what I have in my car. It was much cheaper than going with 3.91 when I did it.

Comment

Most early model V8s come with a 210mm diff - E24, E28, E32, E34, E39 M5, E46 M3, Euro E36 M3.

The E53 X5, E60 M5, E63 M6, and E9X M3 have a type 215 diff that uses roller bearings.

I have a disassembled 3.62 from an E46 M3. If someone has a spare R&P from an X5...I can try to install and test it.
        I was under the impression that the e53 x5 with a v8 has a 210mm housing

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleSidedTape View Post

You can, that's what I have in my car. It was much cheaper than going with 3.91 when I did it.
          I found a complete rear differential from a 4.6 e53 x5 with 3.91 gears. For 120$. Hoping it’ll work

Comment

Originally posted by jpiazzam3 View Post

I found a complete rear differential from a 4.6 e53 x5 with 3.91 gears. For 120$. Hoping it’ll work

Cool! Who’s doing the R&P swap?

Comment

I was under the impression that the e53 x5 with a v8 has a 210mm housing

It’s a type 215. Not sure how that is different from a typ 210 which is a 210mm ring gear.

Might be a subtle difference in the pinion gear???

Comment

Cool! Who’s doing the R&P swap?

Not sure if it’ll work. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I was hoping someone else had already been the test dummy for this swap. I’ve only been able to find mixed opinions on it.

Comment

Not sure if it’ll work. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I was hoping someone else had already been the test dummy for this swap. I’ve only been able to find mixed opinions on it.

If you buy it, I can test fit it into my spare diff. It’s disassembled and I have plenty of crush sleeves.

Comment

Working...
                  X