Sagging Felt Door Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sagging Felt Door Seal

My car has the typical sagging felt on the door seal. Given they are prohibitively expensive to replace, has anyone had any success with regluing them? Any recommendations for what to use?

I can tell you 100% gorilla glue didnt help lol

i ended up getting some used from a wrecked car. IG mpartsworldwide. I know they arent everyones biggest fan here, but they have a lot of wrecked cars and you can get both seals for less than a single new one.

Comment

Didn't take long for mine to fall apart in the Tucson heat and sun. I've got about 15 years in with this stuff.

3M™ Yellow Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive securely bonds rubber gaskets and weatherstripping to metal surfaces. This flexible, high-strength adhesive helps ensure a tight waterproof seal on car doors, trunks, sun roofs and more. It cures fast and works right out of the tube, holding rubber weatherstripping in place and resisting heat, vibration, oils and detergents.

Comment

I used this and so far so good. Was recommended by a friend who restores cars and he told me no weatherstrip that he fixed with that has come lose again.

3M Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive, 08008, 5 fl oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063X38M...8BMSAX7HRM4RVR

Comment

Oh, BTW, I used painters masking tape to hold it in place til cured.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo's M View Post
            Oh, BTW, I used painters masking tape to hold it in place til cured.
            Same, worked great and it cures pretty fast.

Comment

Can you post a picture of what you are talking about please?

Comment

Originally posted by Kcalhoun27 View Post
                I can tell you 100% gorilla glue didnt help lol
                Used gorilla glue ~8 yrs ago and it's actually holding up pretty well. The other stuff I've tried hasn't worked nearly as well. Maybe GG is more climate dependent?

Will have to try the 3M product Jimbo's M suggested next time around.

Comment

The seals are EPDM, so you need an adhesive that's made for that, which can be tricky to find. I used Permabond TA4605 which is made especially for bonding Polypropylene (PP) and Polyethylene(PE) type plastics. Most other adhesives I looked at stated that they weren't suitable for PP or PE.

Comment

Working...
                  X