SMG pump metrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMG pump metrics

I know there have been a thread or two dedicated to this SMG unit over the years... There was a ton of amazing info on the old M3F but, well. I'm hoping to get some feedback on other people's experience with their stock, rebuilt or replaced new pump. I rebuilt and relocated my pump. All new seals, new temp and pressure sensors, new Burkhart motor, new fluid (Pentosin), new OEM accumulator. No more cog light, shifts well, no obvious issues. My question is, how many shifts before priming and how long should pressure decay take? I've emailed SMG society and Burkhart and they've essentially said that if there is no fault/cog light, its all good. Here are my numbers once the hydraulic fluid temp is properly warmed to a temp of 48 to 50C. When driving, I get three shifts prior to the motor coming on at around 50 bar, pressure goes up to 70 bar and the cycle repeats. When idling (no shifting), it takes almost exactly two minutes for the pressure to decay from 70 bar to around 50 bar and then the motor comes on rebuilding pressure. On a Euro site, that was posted over ten years ago, the number of shifts varied from 1-10 but again, this was on pumps ten years ago. I don't see much info since. Anyone buy a brand new pump and check their numbers? Stock vs rebuilt numbers?
    I think SMG owners need their own subforum like on a few other sites. We all eventually feel the pain.

I did the Burkhart Engineering rebuild kit (motor, fluid, sensor) and new OEM accumulator years ago and it has been very reliable since. Made me love SMG again without having to worry about it dropping out of gear on hot days.

What program does one use to see these metrics? I’d be happy to share mine.

Comment

Great question, I forgot to include that info. I use a Foxwell multi-system scanner. I believe the model is NT530. It’s essentially an OBD II scanner with service capabilities that are model specific. Sort of a poor man’s INPA. $185 or so on Amazon. It’ll give live data like we are looking for and you can also bleed and adapt pump/transmission and a few other tasks.

Comment

I have been having SMG issues lately and been compiling some info in order to rebuild this whole system. I am glad you started this thread.

I thought I was the only nutcase that enjoys my SMG and will try to keep it alive for as long as I can.

I don't have answers to your questions, but I did see someone that rebuilt the motor and was getting 3 shifts out of the cycle.

I have the Foxwell, can you do the clutch adjustment with it?

Comment

I have the foxwell scanner also but still use INPA for SMG adaptation and bleed. Foxwell never seems to succeed for me.

Comment

Working...
          X