Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I re-tune?

Hello,

I recently bought a car in Atlanta that currently has a dyno tune on it. I currently live in Santa Fe, Nm (~7,200 feet above sea level), and the car was dyno-tuned in Atlanta (~1,050 feet above sea level.) I also only have 91 octane, while in Atlanta they have 93. Should scrap the dyno tune and just get a build journal tune?

TLDR; I bought a car that has a dyno-tune. I now live in a climate 6,000 feet higher than where the car was tuned, I also live in an area that only has 91 oct (compared to the 93 oct the car was tuned with.) Should I retune?

Its depends on how aggressive the tune is..

if its was only tune for 94 with knocks sensitivity being turn down, then yes ill re tune.

they only way to know is looking at the tune yourself.

Comment

I'd retune. The octane difference is not insignificant if they were going after every last HP.

... your TLDR is barely shorter than the original question

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

You should probably retune based off the 93 tune it currently has and only 91 in your area.

Comment

A cheap way to determine if altitude is affecting your A/F mixture, periodically remove a spark plug or two, and look for excessive ashy grey/tan colored residue, or worse yet, see below. If your plugs have this appearance after operating your car in its current location for a period of time, then retune, and get a catch can while your at it. 🤣😜. Next test, after your M is operating in a closed loop, meaning the O2 sensors are governing the A/F mixture, take a brief whiff of your exhaust to detect the strong odor of unburnt hydrocarbons. If your sled is negative on all counts, perhaps save the money for a rainy day fund.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.php?attachmentid=838686&stc=1&d=1364645179.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1559

Comment

If your car is running a MAF it will adjust and be just fine. Reset adaptions. Now that's assuming your tune is good in the first place.
            If you want a retune hit me up , I'm sure we can get more out of it safely.
            385.7whp 288.8 wtq :
            -CSL airbox ( custom)
            -280 272 Cat cams
            -Custom SSV2, modified for a bigger collector
            -Custom Section 1 2 and 3: oversized to 2.5 inch and en E9xM Xpipe
            -TMS pullies
            -Electric Fan
            -HTE performance Tune :P

PM for performance Tunes

IG: https://www.instagram.com/hte_performance_tuning/

Comment

The internal pressure sensor in the DME will compensate for altitude, and knock adaptations will adjust for fuel quality. If anything VANOS is going to be where you’ll need to make changes.

Comment

Thanks everyone for responding! It sounds like I’ll be able to keep my tune for at least a little while longer while I shop around for a tune.

Comment

Originally posted by HassanEido View Post
                  If your car is running a MAF it will adjust and be just fine. Reset adaptions. Now that's assuming your tune is good in the first place.
                  If you want a retune hit me up , I'm sure we can get more out of it safely.
                  I might have to take you up on that! The P/O said the tune put on my car was good for 322WHP, with only euro headers, intake, and section three. Sounds a bit optimistic. Not sure how good the tune is aha, runs pretty rich at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by props View Post

I might have to take you up on that! The P/O said the tune put on my car was good for 322WHP, with only euro headers, intake, and section three. Sounds a bit optimistic. Not sure how good the tune is aha, runs pretty rich at the moment.
                    I've had cars into the highs 320s(327 329)on stock hardware with just euro headers,and into the 330s with an intake. Checkout my Instagram Hte_performance_tuning
                    385.7whp 288.8 wtq :
                    -CSL airbox ( custom)
                    -280 272 Cat cams
                    -Custom SSV2, modified for a bigger collector
                    -Custom Section 1 2 and 3: oversized to 2.5 inch and en E9xM Xpipe
                    -TMS pullies
                    -Electric Fan
                    -HTE performance Tune :P

PM for performance Tunes

IG: https://www.instagram.com/hte_performance_tuning/

Comment

Working...
                    X