Which pads for 996 brake conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which pads for 996 brake conversion?

Hey guys.. I'm putting together a Porsche 996 BBK for my car. I have the calipers and rear rotors. I'm about to pull the trigger on front rotors and pads through FCP so I can utilize the lifetime warranty in the future. I like dustless Akebono pads! I hate dirty wheels with a passion and I definitely won't like them on the LMs I have on order.

Would these be the correct pads to use with a 996 BBK kit?
    Porsche Brake Pad Set - Akebono EUR917 | FCP Euro
    Porsche Brake Pad Set - Akebono EUR738 | FCP Euro

Thanks

fronts are ok, but the rear pads will create a rust ring

go with these instead https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...-cayman-eur737
    Last edited by SWRT_M3; 12-04-2021, 09:23 AM.
    Formally SWRTstang_M3 on M3forum.net with a join date of 07/2004

Comment

Originally posted by SWRT_M3 View Post
      fronts are ok, but the rear pads will create a rust ring

go with these instead https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...-cayman-eur737
      It depends on which mounts he is running, those will work with rallyroad. Otherwise he can run 737 on outside but needs shorter 738 on inside.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by mrgizmo04; 12-04-2021, 09:52 AM.
      Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Thanks guys. I’ll be running Rally Road brackets front and rear. Would I still be able to run the same pads that SWRT_M3 mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
          Thanks guys. I’ll be running Rally Road brackets front and rear. Would I still be able to run the same pads that SWRT_M3 mentioned?
          This is only an issue in the rear (dependance on brackets). Yes with rallyroad brackets, you can run 737 pads, which are taller and will sweep the entire rotor surface and not create a rust ring close to the rotor hat. Rallyroad brackets ensure there is no interference to fit the taller pads (the interference with other brackets is really on the inside of the rotor, so some people run the taller 737 pad on outside and a shorter 738 one on inside, but that is a pain and you need to buy 2 sets of rear pads).

Last edited by mrgizmo04; 12-04-2021, 12:19 PM.
          Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
            This is only an issue in the rear (dependance on brackets). Yes with rallyroad brackets, you can run 737 pads, which are taller and will sweep the entire rotor surface and not create a rust ring close to the rotor hat. Rallyroad brackets ensure there is no interference to fit the taller pads (the interference with other brackets is really on the inside of the rotor, so some people run the taller 737 pad on outside and a shorter 738 one on inside, but that is a pain and you need to buy 2 sets of rear pads).

This is why I went with the rallyroad brackets, and I run the 737 pads in the rear no problems

Comment

Thanks guys. I’m going to order the 737 pads for the rear along with the rally road front and rear brackets along with their brake lines.

Comment

Anyone use a very LOW dust pad? I dont care about bite, its for the street.

Comment

BTW forgot to add George I used these pads:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spent $101 for both pads. Does the job fine. The dust is not bad (maybe im just anal) and the bite is fine for the street.

Comment

I hate Akebono Euro Ceramic pads! They squealed like crazy on my Volvo V70R that had Brembos all around. No way would I ever recommend those pads.

I've used Hawk HPS for a LONG time and have been relatively happy with them in terms of cost and performance. I'm hard on pads and have gone through many, many sets of pads on several cars. Hawks are somewhat dusty, but nothing like OE Textars for 996. But they hold up under hard use.

Comment

Thank you guys. I just ordered the pads from FCP.

If anyone comes across a set of rebuild kits for the calipers please let me know. I appreciate it !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2598[26656].PNG
Views:	369
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	140917

Comment

Get rebuild kits from Girodisc, and don’t ruin your fancy brakes with ceramic pads.

Comment

From my experience with Porsche, Textar is pretty much the way to go. The only downside is they're dusty which means they're rotor eaters. Get the actual Porsche OE pads and not the Textar equivalent. The pad materials are slightly different.
                          Last edited by Arith2; 12-12-2021, 09:56 AM.
                          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I run Ferodo ds2500s on mine, but definitely dusty. No other complaints though. A little noisy as any performance pad.

Comment

Working...
                            X