Seat bolt won’t go in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat bolt won’t go in?

Hey guys! Long time m3forum member here. This is my first thread. After installing my new interior, I could not get one of the bolts to go back in. It is the rear right bolt on the driver seat. I’ve even tried a different bolt, and it just won’t go in! I don’t want to use too much force and strip it. Has anyone dealt with this before? Thanks

Make sure all the other bolts are loose and try to get the last one in before torquing them all down.

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post
      Make sure all the other bolts are loose and try to get the last one in before torquing them all down.
      Thanks for the reponse. I forsure did that, all the other bolts were loose. It screws in a couple times then stops

Comment

Originally posted by Bostonbruck View Post

Thanks for the reponse. I forsure did that, all the other bolts were loose. It screws in a couple times then stops
        Don't force it! The last thing you want to do is strip a chassis seat/seat belt bolt!

Loosen the others and jiggle the seat around until it lines up. Or, undo the others, do that one first, then do the easy to see ones.

But, whatever you do, don't force the issue!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Try lifting up the back of the seat a little while installing the bolt.
          Silver Track to Street Car Journal
          Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
            Try lifting up the back of the seat a little while installing the bolt.
            On my cobra Nogaro I had to do this in addition to keeping the outboard side plates loose. Even then it still took some force on the seat rails to line up.

have you tried to put the bolt in with no rails? You SHOULD be able to start fastening the bolt in with your fingers with little to o resistance. If it’s really difficult just doing this you should check to see if any threads are damaged or there may be debris inside the hole.

if there is debris in the hole, try compressed air first. If not then you may need to use a thread chaser. It’s easy enough to make one.

Comment

I can start it with my fingers but once it’s a couple turns in, it just gets stuck. It even does this when no seat is in the car. I definitely don’t wanna force it. I think I’ll just have to have a shop fix it when I take it in the for subframe.

Comment

Originally posted by Bostonbruck View Post
                I can start it with my fingers but once it’s a couple turns in, it just gets stuck. It even does this when no seat is in the car. I definitely don’t wanna force it. I think I’ll just have to have a shop fix it when I take it in the for subframe.
                Did you possibly start to cross thread it at some point? How do the threads look on the bolt?

Comment

Run a thread chase (chaser tap) thru it...

Comment

Replace the bolt. It likely has damaged threads just after the nose..

Comment

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post

Did you possibly start to cross thread it at some point? How do the threads look on the bolt?
                      I don’t think so, I normally always make sure it goes in straight, but it is a possibility. I replaced the bolt for $10 and it also didn’t go in. After about 3-4 turns in, it slowly get harder to turn and I don’t wanna apply too much pressure. I’ll be looking into the thead chase.

Comment

Working...
                      X