Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleting Auxiliary Water Pump?

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience deleting the Auxiliary water pump under the intake? The Dinan intake on my car barely clears it, and the relocation bracket Dinan provided does not work well. I'm thinking of buying the version of the heater valve from the CSL that deletes the auxiliary water pump. If I replace #1 with #2, I'm wondering what issues I could experience. From what I can tell, the auxiliary water pump simply pumps coolant through the heater core at a faster rate, so if I delete it, does the car interior just heat up slower?

From my research, 3 versions of this part exist on S54 platforms

1. P/N 64118369807 - found on all North American E46 M3s and S54 powered Z3Ms - heater valve w/attached auxiliary pump

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63444_big.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.0 KB ID:	14593

2. P/N 64118369805 - found on E46 M3 CSL, non-M E46 3-series, and X3 - heater valve only, no attached auxiliary pump

Click image for larger version  Name:	64118369805.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.4 KB ID:	14594

3. P/N 64118369806 - found on Z4M coupe/roadster and some E9X platform cars - auxiliary pump only, no heater valve

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l400.jpg Views:	0 Size:	10.6 KB ID:	14595

​​​​​​​Thanks in advance!
    '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
    '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
    '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
    '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

I’m running the non M/CSL version. No notable difference.

I did code the climate control module (I think it was that) for the alternate pump.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
      I’m running the non M/CSL version. No notable difference.

I did code the climate control module (I think it was that) for the alternate pump.
      Awesome, thanks for the quick response. Any suggestions on who can code this in for me?

Comment

I'm running it as well, coded it as described in Obioban's diy on the old forum. Works fine and clears the CSL airbox. I even snipped off the extra plug. Anyone know the other endpoints of those wires by the way? I'd like to pull them ...

Edit: One wire ends pin 6 on the plug on the back of the heating controls:

The other makes its way to fuse 62 in the glovebox, but so does the water valve wire, and they're the same colors ... and it's unclear where they join based on the wiring diagram.
        Last edited by repoman89; 04-20-2020, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
          I'm running it as well, coded it as described in Obioban's diy on the old forum. Works fine and clears the CSL airbox. I even snipped off the extra plug. Anyone know the other endpoints of those wires by the way? I'd like to pull them ...
          Yeah, I wish I could remember what I did... used that forum a lot to look up my own stuff :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

This thread has been enlightening so far. Didn't even realize we had an aux water pump. Maybe this is the cause of my elusive "communication with aux heater" IHKA code. Just checked the connections on the pump and they seem fine, maybe a coding option is messed up. Guess I'll mess around with them later today and see what I can find.

Comment

I’m going to do the swap when the regular water valve comes in but looks like you just have to code the water pump out in the ihk module.

page 22

will post if it works okay with no codes

Comment

Originally posted by EZE View Post
                I’m going to do the swap when the regular water valve comes in but looks like you just have to code the water pump out in the ihk module.

page 22

will post if it works okay with no codes
                I never coded mine and a year later still have no codes

Comment

Originally posted by Titaniu//M View Post

I would suspect it functions better when the car knows what hardware it has, whether it's throwing codes or not.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I would suspect it functions better when the car knows what hardware it has, whether it's throwing codes or not.
                    I think on the old forums terraphantm had mentioned that on the E46 M3 the auxiliary water pump portion even though it was installed was never actually coded to be used by the HVAC controls module. Even though it's wired in to the body harness I don't actually think it does anything compared to say the E39 M5 and the X5 e53 where it actually does operate like it's supposed to.

My E46 ZHP that's been converted has the non-M heater water valve and I've had both HVAC control modules from the facelift cars and pre-facelift cars and not had any issues with it.

***Edit I was wrong sorry Terra! Looks like the hvac module in the m3 specifically is coded for the aux water pump and will display an error code in the hvac module itself of the aux water pump is not present though people that have swapped in m3 hvac modules into non Ms didn't notice any issues with their heat or ac despite the error being present I'm the hvac module itself.

Should be able to use ncs expert to recode the hvac module to disable the aux water pump portion or swap in an hvac module from a non M.
                    Last edited by nextelbuddy; 04-14-2021, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I’m running the non M version on my coupe, as well... but coded the car accordingly.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I am also running a non M single cylinder unit with no issue and no codes.

Comment

Originally posted by Thonas View Post
                          I am also running a non M single cylinder unit with no issue and no codes.
                          Oh that’s great! So you checked the connector voltage and no issues. It was just the valve bad in your other thread, good news.
                          And nothing coming up prior or since in codes like Click image for larger version  Name:	A870A4B1-A067-4C68-B909-BBFB3D143F2C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	88.0 KB ID:	98895
                          6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by Titaniu//M View Post

Not even anything in the shadow memory?

Comment

The fact that it can me coded makes me assume something changes— otherwise they wouldn’t bother having an option. Lack of codes doesn’t mean everything is optimal.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                              X