Alpha N and the airbag recall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha N and the airbag recall

I was wondering how people running Alpha N tunes have gotten the airbag recall done? I've confirmed with my local BMW dealer that the flash they give the car after fixing the airbag will effect the tune, so I'm wondering how this is supposed to work. Sure I can get the car to the dealer, but what about home?

I had an airbag recall done on my car when they did the temporary fix a couple years ago, I run an evolve airbox with an alpha-n tune and didn't have any issue. I'm not aware they did any coding, my car drove the same afterwards. Anyone else have a different experience? I do need to go back for the current recall/fix and I'd expect it to go the same as last time.

Comment

I've read others confirm that the airbag ecu update from bmw doesn't affect performance tune parameters, which is what I would assume. Worst case, flash your car again with the peformance tune file.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
        I've read others confirm that the airbag ecu update from bmw doesn't affect performance tune parameters, which is what I would assume. Worst case, flash your car again with the peformance tune file.
        Talk to your tuner first, if the ECU tune file does not match up with the new ECU sw/hw numbers it can result in a bricked ecu.

Comment

A couple weeks ago, I took my vehicle in for the most recent passenger side airbag recall if that's what you are referring to. I didn't think about a flash and it was never mentioned. I drove off in less than an hour and never considered it until you asked the question. With my CSL conversion and tune, a difference would have been immediately apparent.
          '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

The BCM is what controls the airbag. I'm not sure why they'd even need to touch the PCM. It's like reinstalling windows to fix one file. It makes no sense. I wouldn't do that on flatrate. I'm not even sure they have to do anything but clear a code if it ever pops up.

The emissions recall, however, does involve your PCM completely. I know I had both when I went in for the airbag recall. That would've affected it.
            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I got the airbag recall done without issue. Decided to just take the car in and talk to them in person. Had to decline the emissions recall as mentioned above, but other than that, it went fine. I have no idea why when I called I was told otherwise.

Comment

Working...
              X