Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rack Doctor- Alternative Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rack Doctor- Alternative Recommendations?

I stumbled upon Rack Doctor when I was tinkering with a ZHP rack I bought a few years back that I am going to throw on the car in the next few weeks. Glad I checked here before I sent it off based off some of the reviews I saw. Is there a viable alternative? I'd like to send off my rack to have it sand/wetblasted and the seals replaced. Yes, I know I could just do this myself. Any recommendations?
    2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
    [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Also interested, need to rebuild my ZHP steering rack.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't believe anyone truly rebuilds these racks. Once they have input shaft play they are worthless. Best bet is to find the lowest mileage rack you can find and check for play yourself since BMW doesn't produce them anymore and has superseded them to part numbers that are not zhp racks anymore.
      2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

I had to replace the pinion seal on my M3 rack. 1.5 years later the seal is still holding up. Wasn't too hard to figure out the pinion seal. Not sure about the output shaft seals...didn't do them.

POWER STEERING RACK AND PINION SEAL/REPAIR KIT FITS BMW 3 SERIES 2000-2005 | eBay

Comment

Anyone successfully get service or replacement racks from rackdoctor under his warranty?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

i purchased a zhp rack from Rack Doctor about 3 months ago. Still no rack. And very little communication from them. Had to open a case on paypal to get a response. I should get a refund once paypal reviews the case. I would stay away from them...

Comment

It took well over 6 months to actually get my ZCP rack from RackDoctor. I spoke to the owner twice, both times he was an absolute asshole. Literally some of the worst customer service I've ever seen.

That being said, the rack was fine once it actually showed up.
              2004 Dinan S3-R M3
              2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

I chanced it with eBay and got lucky (knock wood) on a z3 1.9 rack. Probably not that useful of advice since it's potluck on ebay
                2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
                ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Rack Doctor is a scam. If he's even replacing the seals I'd be surprised. Buddy and I who have been in the community for over a decade are convinced he's just cleaning the casings and reselling used racks at a retard premium. Friend has bought 3 racks from him and they all have excessive play out of the box. Funny he posted a thread on FB asking how many people got scammed by Rack Doctor and got a terrible rack and at least 60 people commented about their nightmare experiences. I would not even remotely consider that guy. His core charge is also a joke because unless you send him the same rack you are buying he gives you virtually nothing for it. Waste if you ask me.
                  2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
                  2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

My friend got a steering rack for his 335 and within 3 months it was leaking. In 6 it was puking. He went through a bottle of CHF11 a day. Thankfully I convinced him to ditch that car.
                    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

fuck. hope I get lucky. Rack Doctor just sent me tracking info.....

Comment

I live around 75 miles from him. Bought several racks for older BMW's from him back around 2004, no issues at all. He strapped one on the back of his Harley, drove 50 miles to meet me and picked up the core to save shipping. Super nice guy back then, not sure what happened....

Comment

Maybe he got married
                          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                            Maybe he got married
                            lol

Comment

received a leaking rack from Rack Doctor. Stay away...

Comment

Working...
                              X