Nightmare dealer situation (Updated)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cobra View Post
    For what it's worth, the first noise you usually hear when you run an engine low or out of oil is the cam chain slapping because the tensioner loses pressure. It's a terrible noise but shouldn't really cause a permanent issue.

Of course it entirely depends how long you ran it with no oil. The next thing to go would be the rod bearings or main bearings.

Smoke/vapor coming from a hot engine oil fill port is not uncommon and I'd consider it normal.

Just remember when negotiating, start high and end up somewhere in the middle where you will be happy.
    I turned it off the second I heard that noise and it sounded like it wanted to die. I just hope we can come to a agreement to open the bottom end and check the rods and crank. Maybe get some rod bearings out of this. Haha

Comment

Man, this sucks. Buckle up for a bumpy ride.

"Take it for a drive" is probably not the best thing to start with.
      2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

How many miles on your car now? If the original rod bearing replacement was done close to 100K miles in the past, you could argue for them to pull the pan and inspect and since a bunch of the labor is done, just do the bearings. Offer to split labor on that - if the inspection is good. If the inspection shows any issue, then it should be all on them.

For the future, I would go reach out to one of the great independents in the Chicago area for work - I personally go to Performance Eurowerks with mine. They are very familiar with the E46 M3.
        2004 Silver Grey - Manual - Slick top - Manual Cloth Seats

Comment

Step 1. Don't go to the dealership ever.

Step 2. See Step 1.

Sorry this is happening though, but understand that this car is 20 years old now and the techs that actually know how to work on them/give a shit are retired and/or gone.

Find an Indy shop to get a second opinion because I would not trust a single word from the dealer at this point.
          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 BMW ///M3
          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by sleeks View Post
            How many miles on your car now? If the original rod bearing replacement was done close to 100K miles in the past, you could argue for them to pull the pan and inspect and since a bunch of the labor is done, just do the bearings. Offer to split labor on that - if the inspection is good. If the inspection shows any issue, then it should be all on them.

For the future, I would go reach out to one of the great independents in the Chicago area for work - I personally go to Performance Eurowerks with mine. They are very familiar with the E46 M3.
            The car currently has 95k and rod bearings were done at 36k. I only took this car in for the recall and asked them to check the oil before I left. Then this nightmare happened. Went into the dealer this morning and talked to the service manage. Just waiting to hear back from him for a acceptable solution. I told him how can you prove to me that the internals are fine and healthy? I said at the minimum the oil pan has to come off and rod bearings and crank have to be inspected with pictures and video. He was being super cool and admitted it was their fault for the oil issue. Hope they will do the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
              Step 1. Don't go to the dealership ever.

Step 2. See Step 1.

Sorry this is happening though, but understand that this car is 20 years old now and the techs that actually know how to work on them/give a shit are retired and/or gone.

Find an Indy shop to get a second opinion because I would not trust a single word from the dealer at this point.
              I like step one and two. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by sleeks View Post

Thanks for the recommendation for Performance Eurowerks I will give them a call.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyM340i View Post

The car currently has 95k and rod bearings were done at 36k. I only took this car in for the recall and asked them to check the oil before I left. Then this nightmare happened. Went into the dealer this morning and talked to the service manage. Just waiting to hear back from him for a acceptable solution. I told him how can you prove to me that the internals are fine and healthy? I said at the minimum the oil pan has to come off and rod bearings and crank have to be inspected with pictures and video. He was being super cool and admitted it was their fault for the oil issue. Hope they will do the right thing.
                  Really sorry you are having to deal with this. Puts a damper on the new car feeling for sure. Hopefully they do the right thing and you can get back to enjoying the car!
                  2004 Silver Grey - Manual - Slick top - Manual Cloth Seats

Comment

Man, sorry to hear. I went for the same recall and after some marketing I ended up buying a super cheap 3 oil change package for 100 I think. Makes me wonder if I should forget about it and simply not use it.

Comment

Originally posted by CachacoE46 View Post
                      Man, sorry to hear. I went for the same recall and after some marketing I ended up buying a super cheap 3 oil change package for 100 I think. Makes me wonder if I should forget about it and simply not use it.
                      I’ve had all my new BMW’s serviced there with no problems. This was just one of those things with human error. At this point I’ve asked them to make me an offer and buy the car from me, of course for more than I paid a week ago because finding another one might be a issue for what I paid. I will never feel good about it unless they replace the motor or open it up and check everything out. So we will see what happens.

Comment

What a terrible situation for any new owner to endure. They probably had an apprentice or trainee work on your shit.

I would be surprised if they actually do anything.
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I’ve had all my new BMW’s serviced there with no problems. This was just one of those things with human error. At this point I’ve asked them to make me an offer and buy the car from me, of course for more than I paid a week ago because finding another one might be a issue for what I paid. I will never feel good about it unless they replace the motor or open it up and check everything out. So we will see what happens.
                          Really? Don't sell the car, let them make it right and it will be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by LVMESM46 View Post

Really? Don't sell the car, let them make it right and it will be ok.
                            Nothing has happened yet however last time I talked to them they said they ran the car drained the oil through a filter and no metal particles then filled it up again and drained it again through a filter with no metal. Said its driving fine and ready to go. Told them I’m not happy and don't trust the motor anymore then asked how about they open the bottom end and check everything with video and pictures. They said they weren’t willing to open the bottom end and check because they think the car is ok. When I mention what if I would have anther shop do it and if they find anything its on them. He said thats not fair since the car has 95k miles on it and it probably wont be 100% perfect inside. So I mentioned I’m still not happy about it and need another option or pay me to buy the car from me. Super unhappy about this whole thing. I still haven't received the title from the last place I purchased the car from and this happened.

Comment

I seriously doubt you blew your motor. Also, I don't know why you would want the dealership to teat down your motor if they couldn't even tighten an oil plug. Get the car back, drive it for a few hundred miles, get the oil changed at the dealer again. If there are any scary things then go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Slicktop View Post

I seriously doubt you blew your motor. Also, I don't know why you would want the dealership to teat down your motor if they couldn't even tighten an oil plug. Get the car back, drive it for a few hundred miles, get the oil changed at the dealer again. If there are any scary things then go from there.
                                You would accept the car back at this point? I feel like if I take the car back I’m on my own. He mentioned he would put it in the notes and if something happens in the next 500 miles they would work with me however I don't trust that. And what if it happens in 1500 miles then what? I think I have to do something now.

Comment

Working...
                                X