No announcement yet.

Nightmare dealer situation (Updated)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The top half of the motor turns half as fast and generally never shows much of an issue when oil starved, even the cam journals that also ride on fluid film bearings. Somewhat surprising. Tthe bottom end always gives way first when there is a total pressure loss and the rod bearings being subject to the greatest direct loads are the first to go.

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post
      The top half of the motor turns half as fast and generally never shows much of an issue when oil starved, even the cam journals that also ride on fluid film bearings. Somewhat surprising. Tthe bottom end always gives way first when there is a total pressure loss and the rod bearings being subject to the greatest direct loads are the first to go.
      Thanks for the info. Hopefully thats the case in my situation.

Comment

Honestly that's a pretty good resolution
        http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
        '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Dealer got back to me with questions about the top end of the motor and he wrote this back to me. ā€œYes sir, I actually had BMW engineering out last week and two of their technicians went over it with my tech to make sure it all looks fine. Everything looks good and we are waiting for the engine to return after cleaning. So hopefully everything is ok and the engine runs perfectly.

Comment

I just wanted to finally update this post from early this year. Well after dropping my M3 off at the dealer July 2nd I just received it a few days ago. They had to do way more than we originally thought however sheā€™s back on the road and driving like new. The work consisted of sending the motor to the machine shop for cleaning and honing then brand new Crank, rods, piston rings, main and rod bearings. Then the head was also sent in to be cleaned and have all new valves installed. Also got them to throw in a brand new clutch for the log wait. There are 4 pages with parts and documenting everything including the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. Not that I will be able to drive much here in IL. Iā€™m just happy to have it back in the garage as this could have been such a worst outcome. Thank god they stood behind their mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyM340i View Post
              brand new Crank, rods, piston rings, main and rod bearings.
              Wow, I still remember the dealer supervisor said the engine was turned off by the low oil pressure detected by the sensor but then they had to replace all of these parts.
              Great job of put up the fight. Good luck with the 'new' engine.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Wow, I still remember the dealer supervisor said the engine was turned off by the low oil pressure detected by the sensor but then they had to replace all of these parts.
                Great job of put up the fight. Good luck with the 'new' engine.
                Yeah thank god it was a positive outcome. Too bad itā€™s December now. Canā€™t really enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyM340i View Post

Yeah thank god it was a positive outcome. Too bad itā€™s December now. Canā€™t really enjoy it.
                  Sad to say, but snow tires on my imola
                  coupe was prolly some of the most fun I had in that car! 17ā€ 225 section rearsā€¦ the thing was a hoot like that, even when dry.

very happy for you, OP!

Comment

I remember reading your post when this first happened and it sucked to read. I'm glad that they are headed towards the right direction. I would suggest asking them to take photos of the parts going in and also extending the bmw parts warranty for at least two years (which they offer to all their parts) for the whole engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Irhase46m3 View Post
                      I remember reading your post when this first happened and it sucked to read. I'm glad that they are headed towards the right direction. I would suggest asking them to take photos of the parts going in and also extending the bmw parts warranty for at least two years (which they offer to all their parts) for the whole engine.
                      Any part on the invoice which fails due to a manufacturing defect has a 2-year unlimited mile warranty which includes consequential damage. For example, if the oil pump fails due to a manufacturing defect in 23 months and caused the engine to seize, BMW will warranty a replacement long block. The interpretation of consequential damage will be as good as the shop foreman and service advisor.

Getting any other warranty or guarantee beyond that is a pipe dream...don't even bother.

Most of all you better hope the dealer stories out the work correctly. For warranty coverage, you have to prove you followed the BMW repair instructions to the letter. If the oil pump fails...repair instructions state to replace the oil pan bolts but the correct part number was not billed on the invoice where the repair was done...claim denied. If you get rod bearings and then the motor seizes...where are those plastigage measurements? Don't have them? Claim denied.

There in lies the issue. If BMW comes back and audits the dealership...I meant "when"...and then they find any little thing wrong with the repair paperwork, BMW NA will do a chargeback to the dealer. So the dealer eats the cost of the repair. You better believe BMW NA audits those higher dollar repairs. Which is why you will find it difficult to get a shop foreman to sign off on a warranty engine replacement. They don't want to take the risk.
                      Last edited by bigjae46; 12-15-2022, 02:09 PM.

Comment

^^^ that's the best explanation of warranty work inner workings I've ever seen. Maybe MB isn't quite as persnickety, which is why I've never heard it in those circles. But still. Thanks for that. Hopefully I'll never need it.

šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

maw

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Any part on the invoice which fails due to a manufacturing defect has a 2-year unlimited mile warranty which includes consequential damage. For example, if the oil pump fails due to a manufacturing defect in 23 months and caused the engine to seize, BMW will warranty a replacement long block. The interpretation of consequential damage will be as good as the shop foreman and service advisor.

Getting any other warranty or guarantee beyond that is a pipe dream...don't even bother.

Most of all you better hope the dealer stories out the work correctly. For warranty coverage, you have to prove you followed the BMW repair instructions to the letter. If the oil pump fails...repair instructions state to replace the oil pan bolts but the correct part number was not billed on the invoice where the repair was done...claim denied. If you get rod bearings and then the motor seizes...where are those plastigage measurements? Don't have them? Claim denied.

There in lies the issue. If BMW comes back and audits the dealership...I meant "when"...and then they find any little thing wrong with the repair paperwork, BMW NA will do a chargeback to the dealer. So the dealer eats the cost of the repair. You better believe BMW NA audits those higher dollar repairs. Which is why you will find it difficult to get a shop foreman to sign off on a warranty engine replacement. They don't want to take the risk.
                          This repair was done out of the dealerships pocket. At least thatā€™s what they told me. Itā€™s 4 pages of parts and knock on wood however so far itā€™s running super smooth. Iā€™m talking it easy for the first 1200 miles and will also send the oil sample into BlackStone for testing. The dealership has been great and when my 2021 M340 is up I will be ordering another car from them for sure. I could have been super screwed in this situation if it went the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

so basically create a system where two parties can point the finger at each other and the customer gets bent over in the middle of it all. Wouldn't expect it any other way.
                            2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                            2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                            2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
                              so basically create a system where two parties can point the finger at each other and the customer gets bent over in the middle of it all. Wouldn't expect it any other way.
                              The nickname ā€œstealershipā€ is well earned, over thousands of customers and multiples of that in currency; which makes this story so heartwarming (it being Christmas and allā€¦)

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

The nickname ā€œstealershipā€ is well earned, over thousands of customers and multiples of that in currency; which makes this story so heartwarming (it being Christmas and allā€¦)

maw
                                I don't know if I would blame the stealership so much. Sounds like the bigger problem is BMW itself with their nonsense policies.

Can you imagine if you applied this kind bull crap in another field? Lets say you go to the hospital and need emergent surgery but the surgeon tells you he wont operate on you because there is a chance your insurance will deny your claim because he gave you 10 mL of numbing medicine instead of the recommended 12 mL and 3 stitches less than the usual. Now you have to shop around at another hospital or pay out of pocket for your surgery.
                                Last edited by Maxima SE; 12-15-2022, 07:05 PM.
                                2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                                2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                                2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Working...
                                X