CSB pre-load, the TIS, and butyl tape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSB pre-load, the TIS, and butyl tape?

I am getting ready to put the drive shaft back in. It has been a while, so I had a look in the TIS to refresh my memory on the CSB pre-load procedure. I have looked at everything I can find to do with the drive shaft and the CSB, but I cannot find the pre-load instructions. Oddly, it does mention that there should be butyl tape between the CSB and the tunnel, but there is no sign of that on my car.

Can someone enlighten me as to where in the TIS the process is hidden?
    Old, not obsolete.

Butyl tape: 26127511140
    2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

I don't think many, if any, E46 m3s came with the tape. I've never seen it from factory. I added to my car.

Push the CSB frame forward (front of car) while you torque down the 2 nuts.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
        I am getting ready to put the drive shaft back in. It has been a while, so I had a look in the TIS to refresh my memory on the CSB pre-load procedure. I have looked at everything I can find to do with the drive shaft and the CSB, but I cannot find the pre-load instructions. Oddly, it does mention that there should be butyl tape between the CSB and the tunnel, but there is no sign of that on my car.

Can someone enlighten me as to where in the TIS the process is hidden?
        Scoot the CSB toward the front of the car 2-4 mm and you are good. As far as butyl tape goes my car didn't have it either (and it was the original driveshaft and csb) and I didn't bother to use it when I replaced both.

Edit: tbonem3 beat me to it.
        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I use the butyl tape I think it helps hold the preload…

Comment

I recently read it and it said 5mm to the front of preload on the CSB when torquing it. I'll verify in ISTA.
            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Well, it doesn't mention a preload at all. Just says slap some Butyl tape on and torque to 21nm. This is straight out of ISTA.

Comment

Interesting that no more preload on the bearing needed. What's the function of the butyl tape -- dampening the noise/vibration, or adding more structural support to the CSB using the center tunnel as a frame around the CSB?

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                  Well, it doesn't mention a preload at all. Just says slap some Butyl tape on and torque to 21nm. This is straight out of ISTA.
                  Same thing I am seeing in TIS. I will check when I get home, but I would bet the Bentley manual calls for preload. Weird.

Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                    Interesting that no more preload on the bearing needed. What's the function of the butyl tape -- dampening the noise/vibration, or adding more structural support to the CSB using the center tunnel as a frame around the CSB?
                    I would guess harmonics.

Comment

Same thing I am seeing in TIS. I will check when I get home, but I would bet the Bentley manual calls for preload. Weird.
                      It needs preload unless the part number changed. Should be able to tell from wear marks where the old one was.

Comment

These CSB were always preloaded for many years and I remember doing this on my '73 E9 CS and '74 CSi.

Comment

With CSB bolted down, is the Butyl tape compressed by the tunnel?

Comment

yes

Comment

I'm pretty sure ISTA is a port from TIS from when they scanned in the manuals back in the day. I preloaded mine because I didn't have any tape. I'll be pulling the exhaust off and fixing that soon.

Bentley is old and unlike TIS, and whatever it was called before, the updates are a bit more difficult.

Comment

Working...
                              X