PSA - new radiator contamination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA - new radiator contamination

TLDR - when you get a new radiator delivered to you, stick a garden hose through one end and run a lot of water through it, to make sure it is clean and free of contamination. I didn't do that, and after install, had a tonne of small bubbles coming out in the expansion tank as well as the bleed screw (see pics), which didn't look normal.

-------
    Think I saw a thread where someone was having trouble getting bubbles out of the cooling system.

After initial radiator install (before flushing), car wasn't misfiring, not overheating, heater blew hot air, no white smoke out tail pipe, no unusual behavior except for tiny almost soapy looking bubbles in expansion tank and out of the bleed screw.

Initially I didn't think of radiator being the culprit and possibly contaminated, so I thought maybe after last track season head gasket between piston and coolant jacket let go. So I first tested the head gasket via a kit you rent at oreillys to see if there are combustion gases in coolant (liquid starts blue and turns yellow if it smells combustion gases in expansion tank). Heart rate was a bit elevated during the test, because who knows. Then thoughts of cracked head, block, etc started running wild in my head. Just replacing the head gasket is the easy part, haha. Test came back negative. It was quicker/easier to do this test vs getting a car apart and set up to do a proper full flush, so I did the combustion gas test first.

I then decided to empty and flush the radiator and block with a garden hose, since there was nothing else that I introduced to the cooling system except for a new radiator and distilled water. After draining the block and radiator and running a garden hose through the radiator, some somewhat soapy water kept coming out from the radiator and took a little while with a garden hose to fully flush out.

This was Genuine BMW radiator from FCP. I'm not sure if Covid qa is lacking these days, or this was 1 in a million, but caused a bit of extra work.

Thought I'd share.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Are you using a coolant mixture or just distilled water?

Comment

FYI, Bimmerworld has their silicone coolant hoses on sale for $49. Inexpensive insurance?!

https://www.bimmerworld.com/E46-M3-S...-Hose-Kit.html

Feff
      MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
        Are you using a coolant mixture or just distilled water?
        Coolant (whatever diluted %) was in the block, refilling the expansion tank after radiator swap, I only added distilled.

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
          FYI, Bimmerworld has their silicone coolant hoses on sale for $49. Inexpensive insurance?!

https://www.bimmerworld.com/E46-M3-S...-Hose-Kit.html

Feff
          I carry spare rubber hoses as insurance. I also heard of silicone hoses failing (don't remember the brand), so havent looked into them much.

Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

They added Dawn to your coolant. If it's good enough for ducks, it's good enough for you.
            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
            X