Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Options to mitigate fender liner rubbing with aggressive wheel/tire setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Options to mitigate fender liner rubbing with aggressive wheel/tire setup?

So I've recently put on some 18x10.5 +20 square wheels with 265/35 A052s. I'm running -3.8* camber up front. It clears everywhere except I'm getting some rubbing on the rear part of the front fender liner. It's rubbing enough to engage the traction control if i have it on during spirited driving. Is there anything I can do to mitigate that? Can I just give the area some whacks with a rubber mallet to create some extra room there? I know other people run much more aggressive set ups and there are track guys in Japan running this exact set up, so I know it's possible. Do I have to just ditch the fender liner completely?

Before anyone asks why I want to run a 10.5 +20 instead of a 10 +25 or whatever, it's because it looks cool.

In this pic the tire is touching the fender liner:

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Attached Files

Are you sure about that spec, 10.5 +20 on the front?

Track guys are running 10 +25 which is as aggressive that I've seen, +11mm more offset is lowrider territory and I don't think there's anything you can do about the rubbing at that point.
    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

ive got 9 on 235/35 and et 20 also getting rubbing on that area :/

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
        Are you sure about that spec, 10.5 +20 on the front?

Track guys are running 10 +25 which is as aggressive that I've seen, +11mm more offset is lowrider territory and I don't think there's anything you can do about the rubbing at that point.
        100% sure, I ordered them new. I've been running 10 +25 for years and wanted to go bigger this time.

Plenty of track guys run 275/35, which is significantly taller.

These guys in Japan use 10.5 +20 on all of their track cars:

Attached Files
        Last edited by Gearhead55; 01-28-2022, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Pull the fender liner out and see what is behind it in that area and see if it still rubs. If removing fixes it you might be able to cut a small section of the fender liner out rather than removing the whole thing and then put it back. If that doesn't work you are going to have to get the grinder out.
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

How are your FCABs and ball joints?

Comment

Its kinda like us lifted truck guys. Usually the tire will rub the front fender so you might be able to unscrew the fender liner and push it in towards the front of the car and maybe zip tie it or put a screw in it. You just have to find a attachment point to secure the fender liner to.

Comment

cobra FCABs are reasonably fresh, everything was just checked out professionally by JMP motorsports and it’s looking good.

Thanks for the input guys. I’ll pull the liner and take a look and see if there is anything I can trim or tweak to make it work.

Comment

You can get some cheap aftermarket F150 or other truck fender liners and cut your own. That sizing is crazy though and will probably always rub no matter what. Or DM those Japanese guys and ask them. Their LSB car has definitely had the front fenders widened or rolled heavily, just look at the edge.
                  http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                  '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                  '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

You have increase the turning radius of the outside edge of the wheel so it’s going to touch no mate what geo settings you go with.

the width and offset are very very aggressive. Yes people run aggressive setups on track. But most track cars don’t ride the liners and also you don’t use much lock on track

I run 265/35 on a 18x10 et25. And never had it’s be a huge issue. Clearances itself. But yours is a lot more aggressive so you might struggle

Comment

The Japanese guys don’t speak great english but I can try asking. They’ve been helpful with telling me tire and wheel sizes. I’m not rubbing at all on the fender itself so I don’t think I need to pull or modify that anymore than I already have.

I pressed on the fender liner without removing it and it doesn’t seem like there is any metal behind where it is rubbing. What are the downsides of not running a fender liner? Just more dirt/debris in the engine bay?

Comment

Yea just ask them and let google translate do it's thing lol
                        Last edited by Nate047; 01-28-2022, 06:12 PM.
                        http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                        '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Gearhead55 View Post
                          100% sure, I ordered them new. I've been running 10 +25 for years and wanted to go bigger this time.

Plenty of track guys run 275/35, which is significantly taller.

These guys in Japan use 10.5 +20 on all of their track cars:

Wow super aggressive and it looks good!! any trembling at high speeds? Most run a wide body kit to fit such a wide wheel, I like the look though.

Comment

Install appropriate wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
                              Install appropriate wheels.
                              QFT

Seems a like lot of self-caused problem-solving for an attempt to "look cool".

Comment

Working...
                              X