Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspection II Checklist?

Hey Everyone,

Slowly coming up on 60k miles and want to start planning what all I need to get done for the inspection ii. I seem to recall last time I looked around there was a PDF/checklist floating about, I was wondering if anyone still had that. Also seems like what the inspection ii entails kind of changed over the years, so if anyone has any of these documents, or an up to date list of what all needs to be done, that would be fantastic.

Thanks!
    2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

It is a rather lengthy list associated with some cost of course and now that we all have time it might just be a good time to tackle it
    2004 M3 Mystic Blue

Comment

This is the official list from 2004
      Attached Files

Comment

There are a bunch of different variants of it. This link seems to have quite a bit on info on both Inspection I and II, along with other info for things to do... https://thebuildjournal.com/tech-gui...tenance-guide/

From that link, for Inspection II:

Inspection II

The BMW Inspection II Service is the bigger of the two inspection services recommended by BMW and it includes replacing spark plugs, bushings, flushing coolant, etc.

Undercarriage
        • Change engine oil and oil filter with Liqui Moly Race Tech GT1 10W-60 and Mahle OX 187D oil filter or similar.
        • Change differential fluid with Liqui Moly 75W-140 or similar. BMW recommends Castrol SAF-XJ + FM booster.
        • Change transmission fluid with Redline D4 ATF or similar. BMW recommends Pentosin MTF2.
        • Change guibo.
        • Flush power steering fluid with any ATF fluid.
        • Replace fuel filter.
        • Change transmission mounts.
        • Check/Replace Rear Shock Mounts (RSM).
        • Replace Rear Trail Arm Bushings (RTAB).

Additional BMW checklists:
        • Check transmission and differential for leaks.
        • Check rear axle for leaks. Visually check fuel tank, lines, and connections for leaks.
        • Check condition, position, and mounting of exhaust system. Examine for leaks.
        • Check power steering system for leaks.
        • Check overall thickness of front and rear disc brake pads. Examine brake disc surfaces.
        • Clean brake pad contact points in calipers.
        • Grease wheel center hubs.
        • Check steering for absence of play, condition of suspension track rods, front axle joints, steering linkage, and joint disc.
        • Check front control arm bushing for wear.
        • Check brake and clutch system connectors and lines for leaks, damage, and incorrect positioning.
        • Check all tire pressures (including spare). Correct if necessary.
        • Check for free movement of the parking brake cables. Adjust parking brake if necessary.
        • Check condition of tires (outer surfaces), tread wear and pattern; In case of uneven tread wear readjust wheel alignment if required.
        • Check thickness of parking brake linings.
        • Half-shafts; check for leaks at flexible boots.
        • Inspect entire body according to terms of rust prevention limited warranty.

Engine
        • Perform valve adjustment.
        • Clean/Replace intake air filter.
        • Perform coolant flush with 50/50 BMW Grey Antifreeze and distilled water.
        • Replace spark plugs with NGK DCPR8EKP or Bosch FGR8KQC.

Additional BMW checklists:
        • Read out diagnostic system with BMW scanners.
        • Check engine cooling system/heater hose connections for leaks.
        • Check level of brake and clutch fluid in reservoir; add fluid if required.
        • Check windshield washer fluid level and antifreeze protection. Fill up and/or correct if necessary.
        • Check air conditioner for operation.
        • Reset Service Indicator.

Body and Electrical
        • Check battery electrolyte level and add distilled water if required.
        • Perform batter load test.
        • Check lighting system, i.e. headlights, foglights, parking, backup, license plate, interior (including map reading lights), glove box, flashlight, illuminated makeup mirrors, luggage compartment lights.
        • Check instrument panel and dashboard illumination.
        • Check all warning/indicator lights, check control.
        • Check turn signals, hazard warning flashers, brake lights, horns, headlight dimmer/flasher switch.
        • Check wiper and washer system(s); wiper blades, washer jet positions.
        • Check condition and function of safety belts.
        • Oil hood, trunk/tailgate, and door hinges.
        • Grease hood, trunk/tailgate and door latches. Check operation of all latches.
        • Check central locking/double lock.
        • Replace microfilter or Cabin Filter.
        • Check heater/air conditioner blower, rear window defogger.
        • Check rear view mirrors .
        • Visually examine the SRS airbag units for torn cover, obvious damage or attachment of decals, decorations, or accessories.

Also:

On-Board Computer

The OBC mileage is displayed when you first start your car (or alternate your OBC display via steering toggle) and it’ll say “Inspection” or “Oil Service” followed by a number. Yes, this number can go negative and that means you’re overdue. The highest value it’ll display is 15,500 and it’ll count down as you drive. This is how you gauge when your service is due and BMW technicians will go off this number and your overall odometer reading to determine which service you need whether it’s oil service, safety service, Inspection I, and Inspection II.

However, this schedule allows for a oil change interval every 7,750 miles, which is not what I like to follow. I and most enthusiasts like to do more frequent oil changes at every 5,000 miles, especially if you drive your car hard or track it. Therefore, my personal scheduled maintenance is a little different from BMW’s recommended. Don’t worry. For the 90% of drivers out there, a 7,750 mile oil change interval should be fine as tested by BMW engineers, but for the rest, we’re especially picky.

Since I’m setting my own intervals for oil change, I’m using the OBC purely as estimation for Inspection I and II services. I say “estimation” because depending on how hard you drive your car, the OBC will calculate mileage. OBC is variable as odometer is a fixed mileage reading.

How to Reset OBC
        1. Turn off ignition.
        2. Hold Trip Reset while turning ignition key to on position.
        3. Hold button until one of the following words appear in the display: OIL SERVICE/INSPECTION and RESET.
        4. The service due is shown with RESET if the minimum consumption limit has been reached.
        5. Press and hold the RESET button again until the word RESET begins to flash.
        6. While the display is flashing, press the left button briefly to reset the service interval.
        7. You should now see END SIA.Bimmerzone for the maintenance I and II information.
        2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Working...
        X