Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for shipping or transportation of seats & door cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for shipping or transportation of seats & door cards?

Hey everyone! I have recently come across a nice interior that I'm interested in purchasing. However, logistics are proving to be difficult. The seller is not interested in shipping and since he's 2400 miles away, driving and picking up isn't a realistic option. Any safe or realistic options worth exploring? Anything to avoid? I would love to have a cost effective solution but if it's over $1K to ship maybe I should not get my hopes up. Again, two front seats, rear seats, and front and rear door cards are included.

Thanks for any insight.
    1995 BMW M3 LTW - Alpine White / Anthracite Cloth
    2000 BMW M5 - Imola Red / Imola Red & Black
    2005 BMW M3 - Alpine White / Anthracite Impulse Cloth (Manual) - ZCP - 6MT - Slicktop
    2006 BMW M3 - Alpine White / Black - ZCP - 6MT - Canadian Import
    2011 BMW M3 - Individual Fire Orange / Black - ZCP - 6MT - Slicktop - Dinan Upgrades
    2011 BMW 1M - Alpine White / Black - Canadian Import

I had an entire interior (front/rear seats, door cards, inserts) shipped on a pallet from bmwrestoredseats to TN and it was only $445 so definitely doable if you go the freight route. When I get home later I'll check the receipt and see who was used if no one else comes along with a good response.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
      I had an entire interior (front/rear seats, door cards, inserts) shipped on a pallet from bmwrestoredseats to TN and it was only $445 so definitely doable if you go the freight route. When I get home later I'll check the receipt and see who was used if no one else comes along with a good response.
      I appreciate that, thank you! That group you got yours from is out of CT, correct? You definitely have less distance to deal with too. I think the biggest challenge here is that I have a private seller vs. a business. Bmwrestoredseats certainly has a full operation and definitely knows the logistics side. This private seller unfortunately will not be looking to assist too much...hence the challenge. Ugh!!
      2005 BMW M3 - Alpine White / Anthracite Impulse Cloth (Manual) - ZCP - 6MT - Slicktop
      2011 BMW M3 - Individual Fire Orange / Black - ZCP - 6MT - Slicktop - Dinan Upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by Duck360198 View Post

I appreciate that, thank you! That group you got yours from is out of CT, correct? You definitely have less distance to deal with too. I think the biggest challenge here is that I have a private seller vs. a business. Bmwrestoredseats certainly has a full operation and definitely knows the logistics side. This private seller unfortunately will not be looking to assist too much...hence the challenge. Ugh!!
        You have a tricky situation and yes on CT. However, it was convertible seats which clock in at 75lbs a piece so weight was considerably higher than what yours would be. Might be someone who can recommend some gig economy site where you could hire someone to pick up, package, and ship. Seems like that sort of thing ought to exist, but then you are probably going to hit that $1000 mark in total costs. I don't know what you are paying but I can highly recommend BMWRESTOREDSEATS as an option.

I made sure to get pics of the door cards, rear inserts, seats, and seat bottoms before any money was paid and recommend the same course of action. That is the key with Joni, be patient and get nice starting pieces. His leather work is really good and my imola is amazing.

Personal bummer story, right after completing my interior swap I put a 1/2 inch slice on the top of driver's side door card. Unbelievable. I was able to use some vinyl cement and seal it really nicely so it isn't too noticeable but dang what a bummer.
        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Hey Duck-I remember about 8 years ago I had an entire interior for my e36 shipped using UShip. I remember putting an ad up there and different folks would bid on transporting. The whole process was pretty easy and a father and son team passing through new york accepted my offer. Some people using the UShip site are big transport companies and others are just small mom and pop shops/trailers. Haven't been on that site in a while but might be worth a look. Others have tried grayhound but...i''d never do it. Wouldn't trust the interior not getting damaged.

I will 2nd Joni's work and bmwrestored seats- Their work is superb! If possible get all new leather as opposed to just dyeing. Joni is also just a great guy-I visited his shop and looked at his many restored interiors and projects.

Comment

I had a complete interior sent to me on a pallet. The shipper used YRC. it cost me around $450.

Shipped out of Nebraska to California

Comment

Good information guys, thank you. I was thinking of UShip as well. I think the best I'm going to get in terms of everything being ready to go is simply the seller wrapping them in plastic and then I request an enclosed hauler. Finding someone passing through seems like it would be the ideal situation. For those of you who had full interiors shipped on a pallet, I assume it's all enclosed correct? Not just wrapped in plastic and strapped down to a pallet?

I've heard great things about bmwrestoredseats as well. But I've found a great original set of interior in excellent condition that's certainly worth pursuing.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                  Mine wasn't as nicely packaged. Fortunately it wasn't damaged when I received it. The sender nailed the front seats into the pallet and safely stacked the rest of the door cards etc. And then saran wrapped everything together with additional ratchet ties to hold it together.

Comment

Yeah, the crappy thing is that I'm not going to be able to get the seller to assist with this. I'm curious about UShip though. I may see if get any response with that.

Comment

Working...
                    X