F80 Brake upgrade on E46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F80 Brake upgrade on E46 M3

I'm looking to install F80 brakes F/R on my 2003 E46 M3 which is used 90% track/10% street. I've read the DIY threads on here and M3cutters.
    1. Does anyone know if these will fit with 18x9.5 Apex Arc8 ET35 wheels? I use 12mm spacer in the rear, no spacer in front with 275s.
    2. Does anyone have a source for rear custom brackets?
    3. Anyone tracking their car give any feedback on improved brake pad wear? With the stock brakes, I get about 2 track weekends out of a set of front PFC08 or PFC11 pads, maybe 3-4 weekends out of the rears. When I upgraded my 911 to Porsche Big Reds, brake pads wear dropped off significantly, enough to pay for the BBK over the long term.
    4. Anyone running the front F80 calipers/rotors only (as I don't have all the parts for the rear yet)?
    Thanks in advance,

Your apex 18” arc8s will not clear the brakes. You’ll need to get some apex 18” FL5s or their new 18” arc8s with the different barrels specifically to clear the f8x bbk. I believe 18” te37s clear as well. I have a complete f8x bbk I’d be wiling to sell. 2k miles on them. Calipers have been completely rebuilt, milled to clear, and powder coated red with white with brembo logos. I have all the brackets as well, just need rear brake lines.
    Last edited by Cglhut; 02-01-2022, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cglhut View Post
      Your apex 18” arc8s will not clear the brakes. You’ll need to get some apex 18” FL5s or their new 18” arc8s with the different barrels specifically to clear the f8x bbk. I believe 18” te37s clear as well. I have a complete f8x bbk I’d be wiling to sell. 2k miles on them. Calipers have been completely rebuilt, milled to clear, and powder coated red with white with brembo logos. I have all the brackets as well, just need rear brake lines.
      Aargh! I guess I have to sell my Arc8s or buy a different kit like the 996 Brembos. Sending you a PM on your F80 brake kit.

Comment

I'm not here to dissuade, but why do you think you need 380mm 25 lbs bricks? Cooling ducts (if done correctly - i.e. aimed at center of hat, not just at inner ring surface) help A TONNE in terms of consistency, wear, etc, even with stock 325mm.

If the car is not full weight, and you are getting faster, you will actually use brakes less and less for slowing down and rely on tires more and just correct weight xfer with the middle pedal.

Unless you are running super long endurance sessions...but even then I see a lot guys max out around 355mm size, or even smaller with proper efficient race setups (like ap/essex, brembo, stoptech, some 996 conversions, cooling ducts, etc).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
          I'm not here to dissuade, but why do you think you need 380mm 25 lbs bricks? Cooling ducts (if done correctly - i.e. aimed at center of hat, not just at inner ring surface) help A TONNE in terms of consistency, wear, etc, even with stock 325mm.

If the car is not full weight, and you are getting faster, you will actually use brakes less and less for slowing down and rely on tires more and just correct weight xfer with the middle pedal.

Unless you are running super long endurance sessions...but even then I see a lot guys max out around 355mm size, or even smaller with proper efficient race setups (like ap/essex, brembo, stoptech, some 996 conversions, cooling ducts, etc).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          Car is full weight, actually heavier with hefty rollbar and will be pushing 380-400hp with cams, CSL airbox, headers, tune. The stock brakes work just fine and what you say is true but the feel sucks compared to the Brembo Big Red brakes in my track 911. Pad cost and wear and heat sink capability of larger rotors are also valid reasons to upgrade plus they have the bling factor as side effect. I hear what you say about cooling ducts as I built my own for 911, need to replicate here as brakes never faded. I came across a very sweet deal and big brakes was on my eventual buy list.
          (p.s. I'm an instructor with 29 years track experience going endurance racing so you're preaching to the choir but all valid points noted)
          Last edited by jager911; 02-01-2022, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jager911 View Post

Car is full weight, actually heavier with hefty rollbar and will be pushing 380-400hp with cams, CSL airbox, headers, tune. The stock brakes work just fine and what you say is true but the feel sucks compared to the Brembo Big Red brakes in my track 911. Pad cost and wear and heat sink capability of larger rotors are also valid reasons to upgrade plus they have the bling factor as side effect. I hear what you say about cooling ducts as I built my own for 911, need to replicate here as brakes never faded. I came across a very sweet deal and big brakes was on my eventual buy list.
            (p.s. I'm an instructor with 29 years track experience going endurance racing so you're preaching to the choir but all valid points noted)
            Don't want to hijack this thread but would love to hear your setup because as far as I know, unless you are doing headwork, 400hp NA is a lofty goal.

Comment

He's talking 400hp at the crank which is around 340-350whp, nowhere did he mention whp.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                He's talking 400hp at the crank which is around 340-350whp, nowhere did he mention whp.
                I thought he may have discovered something here LOL yeah crank HP that totally lines up

Comment

Originally posted by Slicktop View Post

I thought he may have discovered something here LOL yeah crank HP that totally lines up
                  Yeah, I will post numbers after dyno run but targeting 340-350whp at wheels, which is where I got 380-400hp at crank which is the default when people say HP unless they specify WHP.

Comment

Originally posted by jager911 View Post

Yeah, I will post numbers after dyno run but targeting 340-350whp at wheels, which is where I got 380-400hp at crank which is the default when people say HP unless they specify WHP.
                    Cool! Will be interested regardless as I am doing a similar setup this spring too.

Comment

Why don't you run something that's less bling and more motorsport?

The 325mm setup will fit under your current wheels, and probably the 355s as well.

The Radi-Cal will give you inch thick pads which will last an entire season.

Not as popular with the BMW crowd; the Corvette and Camaro guys run these brakes with great success, including in SCCA racing.

Comment

Originally posted by t44tq View Post
                        Why don't you run something that's less bling and more motorsport?

The 325mm setup will fit under your current wheels, and probably the 355s as well.

The Radi-Cal will give you inch thick pads which will last an entire season.

Not as popular with the BMW crowd; the Corvette and Camaro guys run these brakes with great success, including in SCCA racing.
                        If money was not an object, sure! You posted links for fronts only for $3k and $5k. I'm working on ~$8k upgrade currently with VANOS, cams, headers, CSL airbox and dyno tune. The reason I was interested in F80 is mainly as a budget BBK, it's definitely better brakes than in 2003. I'm getting F/R calipers with new front OEM rotors for cheap but I will pass since I don't want to buy new wheels now. When I win the lottery, I'll look at Essex and AP Racing. In the meantime, I'll go back to budget build using 996 or Boxster S calipers to keep costs reasonable.

Comment

Does anyone know if the F80 brakes will fit with 19” BBS CHs?

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
                            Does anyone know if the F80 brakes will fit with 19” BBS CHs?
                            I found out they will fit with Style 359 BMW E92 Comp 19" wheels if that helps compare the offset.

Comment

Few 18's fit these brakes like stated earlier the ARC8 do not work with 18's. I bought some 513m wheels from BMW since there forged light and 18's and fit great with a spacer in the rear. Brackets for the rear I sourced from ebay:
                              https://www.ebay.com/itm/E46-M3-F80-...-127635-2958-0 I don't track the car so I cant answer your question on that. My car gets like 200 miles a year.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hWWmqefBMuWRjMc87
                              https://photos.app.goo.gl/GR8865EAnErhnWJP8
                              Last edited by Under_Pressure; 02-10-2022, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X