Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience taking a car to Europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have experience taking a car to Europe?

I had an unexpected assignment to continental Europe drop on me this week, and while I have several months before I leave, I'm doing the ship/sell/store debate for all of my current vehicles. My current understanding is the government will pay to ship one and store one, with the rest up to me.

I would love to take the M3 and get it on some fun European tracks, but I don't know how prevalent American style "run whatcha brung" street car friendly track days are in continental Europe. I think they exist but may not be accessible enough to be worth planning around. The other problem I understand is that European governments are notoriously strict about modifications, and it will be impossible to register the car without passing an inspection. My car is not heavily modified, but I will potentially have to revert a several things, and I'm not sure how'll they accept the Ohlins coilovers + Vorshlag plates I'm installing on the car right now. The most frustrating part is I can't figure out what the rules are from here. I wonder if it would be easier to just plan to buy something in country and figure it out what I can do there.

Which then leaves the question of what to do with the car if it stays. I can put it in long-term storage, but I don't know how well an old car would do coming out of that condition. And finally, as much as it hurts, I can sell the car, and let someone else enjoy it. But finding a good condition 6-speed slicktop when I return potentially three years from now may be impossible. It seems more likely I would just have to move on to something else at that point.

Anyone been through this process and have some wisdom to share?

Comedy option: sell it and one or two more, buy a CSL when you get there, import it at the end.

Comment

If a part says it's TÜV approved, I would assume it will pass just about any inspection.
      2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Comment

Are you there under the US Forces assignment (.mil or Civ) umbrella?

If not, getting TUV compliant will be a very large and costly compliance burden. One that you will have to continually comply with while there. Not to mention the cost of gas (don't underestimate this) outside of the military AAFES system.

Comment

I have no experience, but, if I had the opportunity, I would buy something there that wasn’t available here and bring it pack and sell. Like a sport wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post
            I have no experience, but, if I had the opportunity, I would buy something there that wasn’t available here and bring it pack and sell. Like a sport wagon.
            Anything you ship back needs to be US Spec.

Comment

I was in Europe while I was on active duty and as a DOD contractor from 2000-2014.

Italy: inspection on base, checking for safety
              England: inspection on base, checking for safety (also a smog check off base iirc)
              Germany: Inspection on base, checking for safety. You don't need to do a Tüv.

I'd definitely bring the M3 to Europe. Hit the Nurburgring and other tracks. It is unforgettable.
              Instagram: M3Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post

Anything you ship back needs to be US Spec.
                I thought they just have to conform to US rules. I’ve seen rhd vehicles brought back by military.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to a NATO position and base, not a US one, so I am not sure if I will be under the US forces umbrella or not. I think I will have to register the car with the host country and I will likely not have easy access to AAFES gas while I am there.

If I have to follow TUV or similar rules, I can probably make it compliant. I'm guessing I'll just have to give up on a bunch things like camber plates. I may not even be able to use a square set of wheels.

I am definitely concerned about the costs of making a modified car compliant. I'm trying to figure out exactly what the rules are so I can try and head off as many issues as possible and possibly sell stuff that won't be good there. But the costs may quickly become not worth it.

It sounds like I need to know more about my status. I guess the best thing to do is try and get in contact with someone at my gaining unit and figure out what I'm actually dealing with.

Last edited by JustAWhisper; 02-05-2022, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I was in a similar scenario about 5 years ago. I got a 2 year contract position in Mexico and had to decide what to do with my bike and M3. Ultimately I decided to do long term storage at my local mechanics shop for both, mainly because I didn't want to risk having the M3 in Mexico with the bad roads and potential theft. When I got back both vehicles fired right up and never had any issues from sitting for that long.

That being said, if I were in your position I'd definitely try and bring the M to Europe and enjoy those roads.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

I took my car to Europe when I was on active duty. I had the opportunity to drive many tracks (including the 'Ring) and participate in many cannonball style races throughout many countries. I still relish those memories a great deal. Some of the best driving I've ever done. If you have the opportunity to bring your car over there and you don't take advantage of it I think you might regret that move.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
                        Comedy option: sell it and one or two more, buy a CSL when you get there, import it at the end.
                        Also, this is not the move to make imo. I've been watching the CSL market for years. I have family in Europe and storing it until import-ready was no problem for me.

At the time I was ready to make a purchase...this was say, like, two weeks before the two weeks to flatten the curve, a nice example CSL was selling for the same price as a R8 V-10 6-speed. Sorry, but there's no comparison for me. I have experience in both cars.

So then I shifted to the R8 market and then the Vid happened and now the same R8 is selling for ~$225K. What in the hell is going on with the car market right now? Other than inflation, of course...

The great news from all of this is that when I'm done with my car I should have equaled CSL performance for a fraction of the cost with today's options for mods and such. On to the next adventure...
                        Last edited by Mayan-Viking; 02-06-2022, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAWhisper View Post
                          Thanks for the replies. I'm going to a NATO position and base, not a US one, so I am not sure if I will be under the US forces umbrella or not. I think I will have to register the car with the host country and I will likely not have easy access to AAFES gas while I am there.

If I have to follow TUV or similar rules, I can probably make it compliant. I'm guessing I'll just have to give up on a bunch things like camber plates. I may not even be able to use a square set of wheels.

I am definitely concerned about the costs of making a modified car compliant. I'm trying to figure out exactly what the rules are so I can try and head off as many issues as possible and possibly sell stuff that won't be good there. But the costs may quickly become not worth it.

It sounds like I need to know more about my status. I guess the best thing to do is try and get in contact with someone at my gaining unit and figure out what I'm actually dealing with.

You should find out before you decide to ship/store/sell. Inspection on base is a walk in the park compared to TUV inspection (I've had to do both).

Also, they absolutely have track days, and even pay-as-you-go sessions. Sometimes the nurburgring GP track is open. You pay 20 (or whatever the price is now) euro for a 20 minute session. As long as your car is registered, you can drive it on track. You could stay all day on the GP track or just do a session and leave.

Comment

If continental Europe means Germany, importing may not be that difficult.

You can get a 1 month insurance based on you US car registration through the ADAC. That way you can pick it up from import and drive it home yourself.

To get road legal in Germany, you have to add EU parking lights to your headlamp assembly and add rear for lights including the right light control unit (with the rear fog light button).
                            Then adjust programming to change counter to KM instead of miles and change the parking light setting to EU.

after you collect your car, you will have to make a TÜV inspection.
                            Getting your Öhlins R&T approved will not be an issue, I belive they have an ABE (general approval).

Went through this with my car 6 years ago.

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X