Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passenger side door will not open (inside or out)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passenger side door will not open (inside or out)

I recently took the door handles off to replace the rubber gaskets. Without thinking I shut the passenger side door and now it will not open to reinstall the door handle. I’ve tired pulling the outside latch out (picture) but it will not unlock, same on the inside, pulling the latch the door will not open. Any advice? Or do I need to call a locksmith?
    Cheers!
    Attached Files

To add. The central locking system works fine - The locking button on the top of the door panel goes up and down. However the door will still not open.

Comment

Originally posted by yanto View Post
      I recently took the door handles off to replace the rubber gaskets. Without thinking I shut the passenger side door and now it will not open to reinstall the door handle. I’ve tired pulling the outside latch out (picture) but it will not unlock, same on the inside, pulling the latch the door will not open. Any advice? Or do I need to call a locksmith?
      Cheers!
      A bit confused when you say "pulling the ouside latch out" does this mean you put a pick or your finger in the hole to pull on the mechanism?

Also, have you tried inserting the handle back in, engaging it to the door latch mechansim and pulling out? (you don't need to screw in the cap for it to work)

I haven't had any specific experience with the e46, but we take door handles off on various cars at work and 99% of the time you can just put your finger in there and pull on hte latch (outward, like a handle) and it opens.

Also, if you lock the door, and pull on the interior handle once, does it unlock the door?
      Last edited by L0okitzRaj; 02-21-2022, 06:14 PM.

Comment

I'm having the same issue as posted here: https://www.reddit.com/r/BmwTech/com...ide_or_inside/

The door just started opening again (for a few days) now it's stuck locked again, pulling the handle from the inside or outside does nothing. This seems to be an ongoing issue however its never been resolved in any forum (that I can tell)
        1. Even with the door handle off I could not open the door by pulling the door latch mechanism (finger inserted:-)
        2. The Interior handle did not open the door.
        3. Central locking from console works, pushing the door panel button up and down.

Left it a day and it worked just fine from inside and out. 2 days later it is locked again.

To me, this means it must be an electronic issue and have nothing to do with the inner door mechanism?

Does anyone have the same issue?

Comment

Working...
        X