Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW M3 OWNER! Help me get her perfect!

Hey guys!

I recently purchased 2005 black M3! I have always loved M3s, specifically this year. It's an SMG with under 30K miles 😏.

I wanted to ask for opinions and recommendations for maintenance that should be performed. The past service history is unknown, so I'm kinda starting from scratch.

From what I've come across online, I'm thinking the following (with prices I was quoted by my dealership):

Oil Change - $250
    Differential Oil Flush - $600
    All Cabin Air Filter replacement - $375
    Brake Fluid Flush - $200
    Coolant Flush - $250

I'm planning to replace wheels and tires during this service as well. I was shocked at how much cabin air filters cost 🤯

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!
    Last edited by M3Chica; 02-26-2022, 04:57 PM.

Unless you're trying to burn cash, you should connect with a local independent shop and go from there. Those are steep prices.

What area are you located in? Chances are, someone on here can suggest some shops.
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Do NOT use a dealership. Find a good indy shop with E46 M3 experience.

Get it up on the lift and have a full inspection done. Then set real maintenance priorities.

Comment

That cabin air filter is $46 for a Genuine BMW part and about 2 minutes of labor. $600 for a diff fluid change is insane, unless they are going to remove it, put all new seals in and install new bushings.

I would find a reputable BMW Indy in your area and get that stuff re-quoted.

Comment

A lot of those are quite easy to do on the M3. You could save yourself quite a few pennies DIY'in them. Seems well documented online or on various forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
            Do NOT use a dealership. Find a good indy shop with E46 M3 experience.

Get it up on the lift and have a full inspection done. Then set real maintenance priorities.
            ☝ this

Comment

Thanks guys! Appreciate all the recommendations. I dropped the car off to them today, but only doing the oil change for certain.

Will just leave it at that and move onto an Indy.

Any shops recommended in the DC area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Tier Car Care. Up towards Baltimore, but Tommy and crew really know these cars and are great folks.
                Last edited by R717; 02-27-2022, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M3Chica View Post
                  Hey guys!…

From what I've come across online, I'm thinking the following (with prices I was quoted by my dealership):

Oil Change - $250
                  Brake Fluid Flush - $200
                  Coolant Flush - $250

Thanks![/FONT][/SIZE]
                  Congrats! Since it’s the dealership why not have them pull service records (if not too old) and do an inspection? They are likely to give you a longer list than you need.

From experience, I would add transmission fluid and SMG fluid flush to your list. All of that should be under $1000.

From there, driving it (plus the stealership list) will tell you what you need. GL

maw
                  Last edited by maw1124; 02-28-2022, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Also if you ever need parts buy from FCPEuro
                    06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

LOL if you were a guy you’d be getting flamed by some of these other members.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your M3. I’m surprised a cabin filter replacement would cost more $$ than a coolant flush. The cabin air filter can be replaced in a matter of mins. I would definitely take the car to an independent mechanic and have some preventative maintenance done.

Now post some pics of the car 👍

Comment

I actually brought my wife into the garage to demonstrate this service item, just to show how badly dealerships gouge customers. This is insane.

Edit: if anyone in the Philadelphia area needs cabin air filter replacement on their E46, I’ll charge $350 but we gotta meet halfway.
                        Last edited by m3nt0s; 02-28-2022, 02:02 AM. Reason: Pseudo trolling :)
                        E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

RRT racing out by Dulles.

T

Comment

Congrats on the purchase. Please look into a little DIY. Some things you can do with little or no skill. Here's a good video with some of E46 basics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSe5FqGsHEY

Gary Martin of Martin Motorsports in Alexandria is a huge enthusiast. He's not cheap but honest: https://martinmotorsportsinc.com/

There is updated software these days that supposedly improves the SMG. Enjoy getting to know your M3!
                            Interlagos 06 M3, Autologic tune, Agency Power midpipes/exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, UUC SSK, ZKW-R lenses. MRegistry listing here

Comment

[SIZE=12px][FONT=Tahoma]Hey guys!

I recently purchased 2005 black M3! I have always loved M3s, specifically this year. It's an SMG with under 30K miles 😏.

I wanted to ask for opinions and recommendations for maintenance that should be performed. The past service history is unknown, so I'm kinda starting from scratch.

Oil Change - $250
                              Brake Fluid Flush - $200
                              Coolant Flush - $250
                              Diff oil $600? It's 2 quarts, which is $80 if you use the BMW branded stuff, which is the most expensive. So $520 labor for a drain and fill? That's insanely expensive.

Cabin air filter is right by the firewall, just unscrew a couple fittings and swap filters, 5 minute job. The filter was $25? I think. That's also insanely expensive.

With unknown service history, I would do valve adjustment, brake/transmission/differential/engine fluids, coolant drain and refill, and all the filters- fuel, oil, air, cabin.

Find an independent BMW mechanic to do that and it should be under $1000 for all of what I mentioned. Probably way under $1000- I DIY most stuff, so I don't know what the labor rate is for some of these jobs.

Comment

Working...
                              X