Brass Brake Caliper Guide Pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brass Brake Caliper Guide Pins

I Installed brass caliper guide pins last track day.

Another Track day coming up in two weeks. Got a call from the shop doing tech inspection today: One of the caliper slide pins fell out, three others were hand loose.

Our current solution is blue loctite.

When I installed them made sure no grease was on the threads. So not sure how else I could have fsck’d up the install.

Needless to say I was damn lucky. And my lesson learned is I need to inspect brakes much more closely than I have been.

I've been using them for ~14 years and have never once had an issue - and I pull calipers at least 4 times/year. Are you torquing them to spec?

I don't see Loctite as a solution to a problem you don't understand. Better to understand the cause, otherwise you are just guessing and using a bigger hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
      I've been using them for ~14 years and have never once had an issue - and I pull calipers at least 4 times/year. Are you torquing them to spec?

I don't see Loctite as a solution to a problem you don't understand. Better to understand the cause, otherwise you are just guessing and using a bigger hammer.
      Yup torque’d to spec. I’ve done dozens of brake jobs on stock guide pins and no issues with 30+ track days with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Yup torque’d to spec. I’ve done dozens of brake jobs on stock guide pins and no issues with 30+ track days with no issues.
        You might pull one (of the loose ones) and compare it to the former stock ones. Make sure you are working with the proper size. I'd also take a close look at the threads. You might magic marker or dye the threads, dry, then install and torque. Then remove and see what contact is happening across the threads.

If they are the correct dimension and installed to spec, there is no reason they should be backing out.

Whose kit are you using?

ETA: If they were really installed correctly and torqued to spec AND backed out, then you must have had some serious forces acting on the caliper mount threads during braking with loose pins. I'd definitely pull the caliper, clean the female threads and very carefully inspect them for damage.
        Last edited by Estoril; 03-02-2022, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post

You might pull one (of the loose ones) and compare it to the former stock ones. Make sure you are working with the proper size. I'd also take a close look at the threads. You might magic marker or dye the threads, dry, then install and torque. Then remove and see what contact is happening across the threads.

If they are the correct dimension and installed to spec, there is no reason they should be backing out.

Whose kit are you using?
          Good idea. Totally admit grease may have gotten in there by accident, but it was something I was actively trying to avoid.

Only other thing I can think of is the grade of the pin is different from stock so might require different torque.

Using the Bimmerworld kit but feels/looks identical to the generic ebay/chinese kits.

Its in the hands of the professionals now. They claim they used to run the same bushings on a 330 race car and had the same issue.

Comment

I've been using them just like Estoril with no issues since 2009. I did however switch to the ECS ones a few years back because they're longer than most. I figured the longer they were the easier it would be for them to keep the caliper straight. The guide pins are a different diameter than stock though

Comment

Working...
            X