Redoing Subframe Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redoing Subframe Plates

Bought my car with what looks like Turner Plates in what was possibly a DIY job (judging by the welds). The OCD in me wants to grind them off and install a better system as these plates become upgrades (Vince Skinz or Reddish V3). Would do this with proper cleaning and undercoating, as I'm not sure what was used, but feels like a rubberized undercoating. I'm really just worried that they may have done it incorrectly and it may be rusting.

What do you guys think? Am I opening a can of worms here?

I was in a similar situation. I cleaned off all the undercoating and re-did it while installing the CMP topside reinforcement and adding some structural welds on the underside, but left the plates as-is.

Comment

No evidence of rust or bubbling? I probably wouldn't bother if you're in a good climate and no evidence of moisture.

A top side solution like front cups and rear brace will render any differences between plates irrelevant.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Would probably drive me crazy too...struggles of OCD.

Comment

No evidence of corrosion or rust but the texture of the undercoating would hide it. I can tell the bead is sloppy and wasn't welded with any shielding gas. I'll have to really evaluate it in the spring.

Comment

Working...
          X